ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 205 - New Radio on the Space Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Mar 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday (3/26) at 9 pm EDT at hamtalklive.com, Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, the Amateur Radio on the International Space Station international chairman, will be here to tell us all about the new radio on the ISS and answer your questions LIVE.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EDT (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube. A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM on Saturday nights at approximately 6:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 859-982-7373 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

Frank-H.-Bauer-KA3HDO-264x300.jpg ARISS Space Bkgnd_14.jpg

2. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopefully it's an Icom as they quickly learned the last time there isn't any Kenwood repair facilities in outer space. ;)

SA1CKE, VE3TMT, G3SEA and 1 other person like this.
  3. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

what? icom dprs is useless in space.

W6KKO likes this.
  4. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s a modified Kenwood TH-D710GA. What they modified, I don’t know. Maybe they did a MARS/CAP mod to it.

5. W6EL

W6EL Ham Member QRZ Page

They modified the firmware to hard-code the frequencies they use to specific channels. That's my understanding of the the kenwood modification.

K8XG likes this.
  6. W2CPD

W2CPD Subscriber QRZ Page

Does Icom make "house" calls?

VA7RAK and SA1CKE like this.
  7. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I made several contacts with them back when I had my Kenwood TM-D700A and they also ran one.
    Later in 2009 I had the pleasure of setting up and being MC of 2 ISS school contacts.
    We used Kenwood TS 2000's and a M2 14 element satellite yagi.
    After that time the big Guns began hogging the entire AOS-LOS pass and you needed an EME array to get over them. They ruined it for a lot of hams.

ON7TH and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe there is also a hardcoded power limit and some additional fans. I think the biggest "change" is that the transceiver now comes with a dedicated universal power supply that works with all of the different volatages available in the different international modules.

9. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a good place to be, in space-

N1GKE, KK6BXO and G3SEA like this.
  10. KD0WGB

KD0WGB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ALINCO TO THE RESCUE
    LOL

AF7EC and (deleted member) like this.
  11. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool ! :cool:

Even if you only make one contact with an HT and a home brew yagi it will be momorable and get you a memorable QSL card.
    G3SEA/KH6

12. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well don't hold your breath ! ham radio on the ISS won't be for a while they have over 4000 lbs of supplies to unload & I bet the radio gear is on the bottom ! Hi Hi oh I hope not ! yes it is GREAT fun to work the ISS ! I miss working the Space Shuttle as well ! 73' all & see you on the Satellites "the Birds" for now Phil KI6PMD..

13. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Honestly surprised that they didn't go for something fancier, such as the IC-9700, rather than a mobile rig.

14. K5DVT

K5DVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably a weight issue.

W5CJA likes this.
  15. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Baofeng?

WY7RF and K4GHL like this.