ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 181 - WWV 100th Anniversary Special Event Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Sep 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WWV is turning 100 in about 3 weeks, and the special event station WW0WWV is coming together! Dave Swartz, W0DAS and Matt Deutch, N0RGT will be here to fill us in on the details, how the test run went, and to take your questions about Wwv100.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EDT (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube. A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM on Saturday nights at approximately 6:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-638-4261 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

WWV 100.jpg WW0WWVV  logo.jpg

KE9OL likes this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't see info posted in the ARRL News release or on the WWV SES web site about when during the hour of normal broadcasts the DoD on-the-air announcements starting Sept 16 were to air.

But I assumed it was the same as previous DoD announcements, ie, 10 minutes before the hour for WWVH and 10 minutes after for WWV.

Listening today I heard it first on WWVH (under WWV) on 10 MHz at 12:50-51Z. Hear it on this clip. (sorry for the quality, but its WWVH under WWV here in FL)

I got it again more clearly on 15 MHz @13:10Z on a clear channel WWV. Here's that clip.

KA2FIR and N2NOW like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This morning at the Albuquerque Duke City hamfest breakfast, the head engineer for WWV was the keynote speaker, it was a very interesting overview of the history of WWV from 1919 through today.

W0AMT and WB9VPG like this.
  4. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

Love that call "WW0WWV"

5. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

ONE OF MY EARLIEST MEMORIES OF AND A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR TO MY LOVE OF ELECTRONICS/RADIO :

MY DAD TUNING IN WWV ON THE STAR ROAMER HE BUILT. (FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF A 4 YEAR OLD - JUST PLAIN WOW)

THANK YOU WWV FOR YOUR FIRST 100. :D

6. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Logged WW0WWV a couple days ago on 20 CW. Answered a CQ, quick signal report exchange, tnx and 73. I was surprised because the advertised beginning of the special event station doesn't start until tonight at 7PM local. I guess they were testing a few days ago. Test passed.

Edit: From here in East Texas
    CALL:WW0WWV
    QSO_DATE:20190922
    TIME_OFF:170213
    FREQ:14.04118
    MODE:CW
    RST_RCVD:599
    RST_SENT:599
    TX_PWR:100

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  7. NE8S

NE8S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure would like to know what the anticipated CW frequency will be on 6 meters, if and when they go on-the-air with that mode. I'm thinking 50.035 to 50.045 MHz. Anyone else have a crystal ball?

8. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard them on satellite today. Tried to work them but no luck.

9. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey... these ops are mostly newbies it seems and need help. If anyone is near fort collins and demonstrate how to contest or run a pile up, please get over there and give these ops some mentorship in how to run a pile up, listen for DX, etc. Listening now, 10/1/2019 at 19:20 GMT and the op can use some HF mentoring /elmering. The op is struggling to give the callsign correctly. 14.238, may be his first time on HF.

10. N2PYH

N2PYH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was lucky enough to log Wwv on the 29th on 20 meters. Confirmed the QSO, donated a few dollars and waiting for my QSL card to come in the mail.

11. W0DAS

W0DAS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, we had some new HF operators, as well as seasoned veterans and all levels in-between. Our event was not a contest, but a chance for operators and stations across the country and globe to celebrate 100 years of WWV. We're all exhausted after close to a year of planning, government shutdowns, and laying the foundation for what turned out to be a lot of work, but great fun and a team effort of nearly 100 operators and staff. Everyone involved learned from each other and shared in the spirit of ham radio. After an incredible inauguration, I'm sure those newbies are feeling more confidence and more welcome into ham radio.

K9UR likes this.