ad: elecraft

Ham Talk Live! Episode 171 - World Scout Jamboree & WalMart Parking Lots On the Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Jun 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Alphabet Soup On The Air .... maybe next week it'll be "National Landfills On The Air" .... followed by "Condemned Nuclear Power Plants On The Air" .... then maybe "Pet Cemeteries On The Air" ..... Aw, come ON!!! Let's get original. We get it. "xxOTA" was cool at one time .... Besides, I'd rather not have my child scout wear a film badge in order to qualify for a "radio badge"!

K0UO likes this.
  2. PY4KM

PY4KM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a Scoutmaster in Brazil, and Scout Radio, who knows how to make this contact.
    73 from PU4TPM

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I'll just wait for an activity at my favorite fast food location. Chick-fil-A. Eliminates the need for bringing food and drink along.

WB9VPG likes this.
  4. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those Conspiracy guys call Wal-Mart a undercover FEMA Camp and say the true meaning of Wal-Mart is MARTial LAW.

5. VE3JMR

VE3JMR Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the problem with for profit businesses? Businesses that do not pull a profit don't stay in business. It's that simple. Think about it next time you are in your favorite store or restaurant. If it were to close suddenly, it' s probably because it could not bring in enough revenue to exceed it's expenses (ie profit). And also think about this: You made a "profit" with your job. That is, you made more money than your expenses, hopefully. Why should a business owner only make enough to pay their expenses? Why shouldn't they be able to make enough to pay their PERSONAL (at home) expenses plus go on vacation, buy ham gear, etc,...? I get sick and tired of people that diss commercial entities by calling them "for profit" just to make them look bad. Walmart has shareholders that have sunk billions of dollars of their own money into the company. They deserve a return on their investment.

6. G0RQQ

G0RQQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If I may - I think some may be missing the point here. The primary object of the exercise is to work grid squares, the intersection of several happening to be in Wal-Mart parking lots. It’s not intended to promote Wal-Mart per se. If someone were to discover that grid squares intersected in church parking lots then we could have CPLOTA - would that then be seen as promoting a particular religion?? I think not....
    Regards,
    Keith G0RQQ / VA2QU

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    WB9VPG likes this.
  7. ND1SU

ND1SU Ham Member QRZ Page

Only if you start your session with a meal of fish and chips, and sing God Save the Queen after each contact. :D

M6NXW likes this.
  8. M6NXW

M6NXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jolly good old boy ;)
    73s

9. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YES YES!
    Casey's on the AIR!! or Work All Casey's! WOOOO HOOOO! They are everywhere in Missouri. More Casey's than Wallmart stores in my neck of the woods! Bonus points for the Truck Stop Casey's which are few and far between.

We need to get on the "commercial promotion" bandwagon for CASEY'S on ham radio! "Station"?

3ess...
    7RY

10. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oooohhh... Waffle House on the air! There are LOTS of them.
    Let the commercial promotions begin!