ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 129 - What's Up with Please Copy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA4RDX

WA4RDX Ham Member QRZ Page

While Amateur Radio is indeed a wonderful hobby, it is, in fact, a SERVICE. If you read the very first regulation for this SERVICE, the basis and purpose is made clear. Professionalism has always been a tradition of the amateur radio service, as is self-policing. Those who don't feel a need to follow standard protocol show a disregard for the fundamental purpose of this SERVICE.

Subpart A—General Provisions
    § 97.1 Basis and purpose.
    The rules and regulations in this part
    are designed to provide an amateur
    radio service having a fundamental
    purpose as expressed in the following
    principles:
    (a) Recognition and enhancement of
    the value of the amateur service to the
    public as a voluntary noncommercial
    communication service, particularly
    with respect to providing emergency
    communications.
    (b) Continuation and extension of the
    amateur’s proven ability to contribute
    to the advancement of the radio art.
    (c) Encouragement and improvement
    of the amateur service through rules
    which provide for advancing skills in
    both the communication and technical
    phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing res-
    ervoir within the amateur radio service
    of trained operators, technicians, and
    electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the
    amateur’s unique ability to enhance
    international goodwill.

W0PV likes this.
  2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that should be: Please Copy GET OFF MY LAWN

And thanks to Ward for helping me better understand why I hate contests

3. KC9EE

KC9EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I like it. It gives me something to laugh about during a contest and I know I'll out score at least THAT guy. What I really like was a couple of years back in a NAQP. A guy running on 20 meters by call area.....yes in a contest and no I didn't wait for him to call for nines.

WA4RDX likes this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

So we have a dilemma - for some its " trained operators, ... advancing skills in both the communication ... phases of the art." versus others who claim too much "nit picky snobbery ".

The ARRL correctly makes a claim that contesting skills are transferable directly to EMCOMM, as was in ample evidence a year ago during the response to hurricane Maria.

I offer a demo of this same dilemma in an even more serious venue. Check out the video below of an FAA ATC @ MRY GND trying to make proper exchanges with airline and private pilots.

The OP of the vid labels the ATC as "arrogant" and "So exigent and strict with readbacks". However a good percentage of the commenters, many pilots, do not see it that way. Neither do I.

The ATC is just doing his job and demanding that the other side do the same, properly. I would feel much more secure with his performance as a pilot or passenger in that airspace. This ATC would make a fine amateur radio contester. A "golden log" every time.

WA4RDX likes this.
  5. W1AET

W1AET Ham Member QRZ Page

A tempest in a teapot. Know code and know civility.

W1YW, WN1MB and K7YB like this.
  6. K7YB

K7YB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

this is worthy of discussion? Trolls from FB have found a new bridge to live under. Oops...popcorn is ready! I'll tune in for more tragic comedy.

7. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely you can see how posting that is troll-like. Sure, grab the popcorn, but feeding the trolls can turn you into one.

WD8ED and K7YB like this.
  8. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With all of the cursing, hate speech, music playing and jamming that happens (every minute of every day) on the HF bands...you boys think contesters saying "please copy" is really a major issue....Seriously?

If it were not so profoundly stupid...it would actually be funny.

WB0MPB, W5CJA and K2NCC like this.
  9. WA4RDX

WA4RDX Ham Member QRZ Page

The air traffic controller in this example is indeed doing his job correctly! There can be no room left for any doubt that the correct aircraft received and fully understands their exact clearance in exacting detail. This is how controllers guarantee separation of air traffic in instrument conditions. Bear in mind that there are some areas of the country in which radar is blind, therefore it is entirely up to the pilots to understand and follow clearances to the letter. Lives depend on it. The controller is responsible for confirming the correct aircraft reads back the correct clearance. If he allows a slip in the readback, and an accident occurs, then his butt is in a sling. And yes, I am a certificated commercial pilot, and flight instructor. Professionalism is demanded of pilots at every level, from the first day of training. If bad habits are allowed to begin, they will continue. They must be addressed and corrected from day one, hour one. Again, lives depend on it. All that said, normally no lives depend on a typical amateur radio exchange, but, if providing emergency communications, which is a fundamental purpose of amateur radio, then professionalism in communications can make the difference in the outcome of the emergency. So yes, professionalism in communications is important even in amateur radio, even if only to make things flow smoothly in a contest, or working a pile-up, but especially in training for emergencies. Elmering is needed, and has been a long standing tradition of amateur radio. So is and has been self policing. I always strive to make suggestions in a respectful manner, and in a way that will help, rather than offend. As I said before, we all have been the new operator, learning and making mistakes. I made my share, and I always expected to be given courteous instruction to correct those mistakes. It's how we all learn, by being corrected.

WF7BSR, WB9VPG and KB0FKT like this.
  10. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Totally correct. That's exactly what it is - a show announcement. Listen if you want, participate if you want, and don't listen if you want.

The show last night was trying to explain why efficiency is important when time is critical (contesting, satellites, public service)... and when time isn't critical.... say what you want to say. This was an educational show to explain the reasons why some people feel this way, not a bashing. And this post was a show announcement to let people know about a chance to call in and participate, not an attempt to start a discussion on QRZ.

K9UR, WE4B and W0PV like this.
  11. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Riiiiiggghht.....

So all them military heroes overseas using 'fillers' like 'Prepare to Copy' & 'Send it' during emergencies are being inefficient?

What this is about - is contesters trying to mold the way folks operate for their own advantage. While I totally get it... don't ever let anyone tell you how you should operate, as long as you are operating in a gentlemanlike (or lady!) like manner.

No one is going to rush me on the air - no one.

Silly QRZ... just silly.

KM1LKY, KD7DGK, N6QIC and 2 others like this.
  12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo! Nailed it.

Amen to both.

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Too many misunderstand this topic or take its admonitions too personally and seriously.

IMO the overall points are,

1) know the contesters desired protocol
    2) use JUDGEMENT if / when using or deviating from it

The latter is essential. There are serious contests and contesters and there are casual events and participants.
    They can usually be ID'ed by a couple of qualities of their operating style; the former with an all business fast paced clipped tone and a terse brief exchange versus the latter using a slower more laid-back conversational manner. BTW, this applies to ALL radio modes too, ie, Fone, Cw, Data.

I prefer being and doing it the casual way, but can do both, and am prepared to quickly switch between those operating styles to accommodate situations. That is not just polite, its called being a radio operator.

Few contesters at the end of the South Dakota QSO Par-tay will care much if you add extra preamble or comments to the contact exchange. But calling into a Big Gun during the CQWW prime time is another story.

Sit up straight and make it so, bang bang, ring the bell, spin the knob. :p

WB9VPG likes this.
  14. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting, because code was one of the things we discussed.

15. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Neil. I enjoyed the show and it was a good discussion. Indeed there is a place for rapid paced comms, especially in contesting. Certainly not every ham's "thing"... but when in a contest, apply the protocol that the contest calls for; In this case, no "please copy".

Thanks for sharing this "contester's view" on your show!
    Joe