ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 129 - What's Up with Please Copy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Who sets these "standards"? Are contest exchange terminologies defined in Part 97? Is there a required exchange (word for word) in ANY contest rule set? I don't use "please copy", but I certainly have no problem with somebody else using it. Big deal.

KM1LKY, N1EDC, ND6M and 2 others like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm impatiently waiting for The Dean, K1OIK, to chime in on this thread.

As for the announced "Please Copy" program, I believe I'll pass. There are four keys and zero microphones here in the shack. And that's intentional.

73 - singular...

K4AGO and AK5B like this.
  3. WA6JFK

WA6JFK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Negative copy.
    Destinated.
    Clear on your final.
    WA6JFK FOR ID!

4. WT4BT

WT4BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, personally, for 'most' contests, I do not like the use of "Please Copy ...". It slows the rhythm of the information passed and can cause info to be missed as a result.
    When the exchange is a simple (and blazing fast) 59 (or 599/5nn) and serial number, putting "please copy" in front means I could have logged you and already moved on the the next caller in the contest.
    That said, if the exchange is something more extensive like the ARRL Sweepstakes or Field Day (yeah, I know, not a 'contest'), then a "please copy" can be more tolerated or even useful.
    Just my opinion and feeling on the matter, hope to 'see you' tonight.
    Mac/wt4bt

K4AGO and WU8Y like this.
  5. WT4BT

WT4BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I should have added:
    As for DXpeditions-the guys/gals running the pileup do not want, nor need, the "Please Copy" interjection for the same reason I mentioned above: It slows the passage of the critical info.
    Yes, a good DX operator will take those interjections in stride and move on, but they sure are a 'pain in the ear' when you've (I've) got a pile of EA's and I's knocking on the door! Just want to make the Q, get it in the log and move on to the next.
    Now, when I'm more relaxed and doing it 'holiday-style', the Op who comes in and wants to 'discuss the weather' is welcome to do so. I really do hate to cut someone off but have done so as politely as possible.
    Mac/wt4bt

K4AGO, WU8Y and WA7WJR like this.
  6. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't be tuning in either. A total non-issue.

NU4R, AK5B and WN1MB like this.
  7. KU4GW/SK2023

KU4GW/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Just another result of the dumbing down of amateur radio licensing. Reminds me of the station that broke in on our 75-meter phone group awhile back to ask for an SWR report. o_O

WB4M, WF7BSR, KB0FKT and 1 other person like this.
  8. WN1MB

Nice to see that American flag displayed in your shack - as well as your choice of gear. Perhaps our signals will cross some SKS or WES one of these days. Enjoy your retirement. You've earned it! 73.

KG7VTO likes this.
  9. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

To all on this thread, PLEASE COPY. Yawn, this is BULLROAR. Seventy- threes!

It's supposed to be fun. 35 years in radio and this is what folks are so uptight about?
    Sad.

KM1LKY, KK5JY, AA7WB and 4 others like this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I found some new stuff. Can't wait to try it. :oops:

It is for Echolink, IRLP, Allstar and VOIP users. May work for DMR too.

Two for the price of one if you pay a extra handling fee. Latex gloves included. :)

upload_2018-8-23_9-47-37.png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    WB8LBZ/SK2023 likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

PLEASE COPY is a placement phrase that helps in marginal RX conditions: you know that the 'exchange' phrase unambiguously follows.

Fone ops who use this in contests are discouraged from doing so because , almost always, the RX stations hears them well enough in the first place.

Its not an objection of annoyance, but a minor point on inefficiency. Ward is just pointing this out. No reason to jump all over him.

Chip W1YW

K4AGO and WB9VPG like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm... I remember doing that 50 years ago. Everyone got the meaning: I am checking my SWR and want to be sure the antenna is not just a dummy load.

Modern rigs pull the power back dramatically if the SWR exceeds 2:1 (roughly). So its not just a mismatch loss that makes the QSO dubious.

Guess I am justa dummy....

13. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading all these threads on this issue,there are clearly 2 different opinions.

the first responders to the issue have issue with them using "please copy"

it not needed and a clear waste of time in the world of contesting...I get that!!!!
    I am not a contestor nor will I ever be, not my cup of tea.

On another hand I have also come across some ham ops who clearly have not read the 3 rules of ham radio, whether it is in a rf, hf or voip platform

There is one thing that PEOPLE do and that is NOT LISTEN

the 3 rules of ham radio are:
    1.LISTEN
    2.LISTEN
    2. LISTEN

Now not forget those who have been and still do this day violate those rules......especially on a voip platfrom and a rf platform.

I hear it all the time stations breaking in when a qsl or a net is going on they just dont listen to the frequency for a few mins to see if a qso is going on or there is a net going on.

they break in ask these real stupid questions......"ahh is there a net going on?"....well maybe if you were LISTENING you would have heard that there is a net or they are in the middle of a qso.

or my favorite is "how is my signal coming in"...well buddy here is the explanation.

your on a repeater and your audio is only as good as the repeaters audio.......

oh ya, I forgot my other favorite........when they check into a net and you ask them to give you callsigns in phonetics and they come up with this crap phonetics that has nothing to do with REAL phonetics.

we are a self policing service/hobby.

I get that!!!!

what I dont get when you ask someone to go back and adjust their audio because they were overdeviating or they have low audio...they go on a 2 minute transmission ..how they fixed it and yada yada yada......if you have been told thast your audio is low or too high...then stop transmitting and fix it!!!

People dont like to be told that they are doing something wrong and when done so they act like a kid ......

the level of skilled and proper hams have been diminished by the overflow from 11 meters.......if a person is taught right they will teach others correctly

K4AGO, WF7BSR and KB0FKT like this.
  14. WN1MB

You forgot to mention the U.S. government education system's part in this, not to mention 2018 societal "norms."

WB4M likes this.
  15. WN1MB

Slow news day.

Here, here!