ad: CQMM-1

Ham Talk Live! BONUS mini episode - WalMart Parking Lots on the Air (WMPLOTA)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Apr 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

2. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LMAO!

3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of WMPLOTA QSOs are being made!

WB9VPG likes this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

THIS is what Amateur radio should be,........ fun:D

WB9VPG, WA2LXB and WE4B like this.
  5. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen! It's going to be a great weekend!

WB9VPG likes this.
  6. KC5MO

KC5MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that I have spewed coffee all over my keyboard after reading the title, I now need to got to Wally World for a new one and for WMPLOTA.

WB1E and WB9VPG like this.
  7. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

At 1940 UTC Saturday, I have already worked from 6 different WalMart stores around Phoenix. One was on DM33/43 grid line. Three more stores to go this afternoon...

73!

WB9VPG and WA2LXB like this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the updates!

WB9VPG likes this.
  9. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

This was pretty cool for this Satellite Newbee! Got my Elk Ant in the mail this morning and made 2 contacts on AO-91 with just my FT-60 HT on a 14deg pass thru trees! WD9EWK was one and I didn't write down the other since I was in shock anybody heard me! :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    WB9VPG and WD9EWK like this.
  10. WD9EWK

Nice to work you!

I just got home, but will update my log tonight from recordings I made of each pass. I remember you worked another station, and can e-mail you the MP3 of that AO-91 pass tonight or tomorrow.

For the day, I visited 9 different WalMart stores in and around Phoenix, driving over 80 miles in about 7 hours. The first store was on the DM33/DM43 grid boundary in east-central Phoenix, and then I visited 8 other stores in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, and on the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community reservation (east of Scottsdale, along the AZ-101 loop freeway). I made QSOs at 8 of the 9; someone else was on the last pass (a low western SO-50 pass), but they didn't identify themselves, and I didn't make any QSOs.

I won't go out to any other WalMart stores tonight or tomorrow. I had loads of fun today working stations, including many at other WalMart stores. Now I need to update my log, and pull pictures and screenshots off my mobile phone from all of the stops today.

73!

WB9VPG likes this.
  11. WD9EWK

I am still transcribing my recordings, but heard you work AC9E in New Mexico (grid DM72) after me on that AO-91 pass this afternoon.

73!

12. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the Update on the other station I worked Pat! I was in there on the previous pass but there was alot of stations in there because of the nature of that pass to the east of us. I would love to hear what I sounded like with just a few watts running the FT60. Thanks!

13. WD9EWK

I'll still e-mail you the MP3s, but you can go to the "Satellite_Audio-2018" folder at http://dropbox.wd9ewk.net/ to get the audio I recorded from today's passes. The one from the AO-91 pass where we worked each other should be the next-to-last file in that folder. I have the earlier AO-91 pass in there, in two separate files - I accidentally stopped my recorder (forgot to use its lock feature, to stop me from doing that), but I restarted it about a minute later. File names have dates in YYYYMMDD and UTC times, along with the satellite name and my grid locator(s) for that pass.

73!

14. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At the beginning of NPOTA in 2016 a buddy of mine talked about doing a Walmart Parking Lots on the Air - even created a G+ group. It was a flat out joke never intending on doing an "activation," but man we got some kicks out of it.

Dude, this is copyrighted LOL!!!

15. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say they would have to give extra points for nighttime contacts due to the high danger level.