Ham station lightning protection

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WA7ARK, Nov 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are the slides from a hamfest presentation I have done several times, last in 2017. The .pdf file is too big to upload here.

[link removed at OPs request]

Intended audience; newly licensed hams who are just getting on HF...

Trying Google Drive

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2019
    K0UO and KX4O like this.
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Clicked, and the site wants to install software.... no thanks! Google drive?

NH7RO likes this.
  3. WA7ARK

Funny, it didn't ask me to do that when I tested the download. Maybe I can make the file smaller, and host it here?

ps, added link via GoogleDrive.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, me neither! What airplane is that in your avatar?

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a PDF not software. I scanned the file and it came back clean.

6. WA7ARK

Piper PA22/20 "Pacer". My wife's airplane. She lets me fly it because I fix it.

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I get this reported from my malware software when I try to download the PDF:

8. WA7ARK

The Google drive link should be fine... I created the .pdf from Open Office just today.

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks pretty good. You might want to touch on connections - buried acorns aren't going to cut it. Single shot cadwelds are cheap and fun!

Your hand drawing only shows a rod, I'd maybe show a wire heading off the page and call it your Ground System. Another showing the other services all tied to this Ground System (cable, phone, netural, etc.) would be good, required by code, and would help drive home the buried ground system concept. The more wire and rods you have in the ground, the lower the impedance.

NH7RO and N0TZU like this.
  10. WA7ARK

Yeah, I first made those slides 15years ago. I am planning on updating it. That is why I posted it here..., to get feedback.