Ham Rants and Peeves

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would venture to guess that many rig unboxing videos are made as a form of bragging. Look, look, look at me and my new best rig out there.

It may be a new Elecraft K-4 or Icom IC-718. Beauty is in the eye and/or lie of the beholder.:eek::rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    WA9SVD likes this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would venture to guess that many hams don't understand how their particular antenna(s) works, as in the law of physics, and even less about how the ionosphere and radio wave propagation that refracts their radio signals works.

What makes me grimace is when I here someone say the band shifted.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    WZ7U and WW2PT like this.
  3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m old enough to remember when the 20m band started at 12 MHz, before it shifted up.

(I think it was the no-coders who did that, too. Thanks a lot, ARRL! :mad:)

W4HM and W0AEW like this.
  4. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t remember the day I learned do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do, but it stuck with me.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Troot?:confused: aren't they cold , fresh water fish akin to salmon?:confused::rolleyes:

W2AI likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe "over, under" coiling would have made more sense...?:confused: Then gain, probably not.:(:rolleyes:

7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually it might.

I didn't mean that as any criticism of anyone posting it, just that some things are better illustrated than described. I think I COULD describe it in a way that someone like me could understand by written instructions but it would be MUCH longer - and not worth it when a video will do the trick. :)

8. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Troot fishing with dry flies is great fun. I trootly enjoy it. :D

WA9SVD likes this.