Ham Rants and Peeves

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling a random length of wire (even when less than a wavelength long) a "long wire antenna"

N2EY, KP4SX and WA5VGO like this.
  2. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Or calling a wire cut harmonically related to a frequency a random wire.

K8AI likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can get WN4CIE back again if you want....for free. Vanity call system makes it easy.

WN1MB and W4NNF like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

But Marv already went the vanity route once. Are you trying to create an addict?

WN4CIE would certainly garner some attention on the air, would it not?

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Gotta be careful with that.... that's what I thought when I teamed up with some locals and created the "Nostalgic Novice Network Club" and chose the call sign KN7NNN.... for normal call-CQ-chat QSOs it's fine... but when contesting, the call is cumbersome as can be. I get a lot of requests for repeats. My guess is there are a lot of newer operators that maybe don't really know the "old call formats" and it can throw them off.

But I still use KN7NNN whenever the mood strikes me :)

Dave
    W7UUU/KN7NNN (Trustee)

W4NNF, WA9SVD and N2EY like this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"I hate Bosco, it's not the drink for me...":p:rolleyes:

N2EY likes this.
  8. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling a dipole diploe.
    Arguing that there is no such word as "irregardless".
    Calculating length of a diploe in cubits.
    73's and all the best

Shirley

W1TRY likes this.
  9. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Another peeve of mine is old farts and some young ones who tell you something related to amateur radio with such fervor and conviction you assume it must be true. When I was new to the hobby I stupidly thought that if someone had such a strong opinion on antennas, grounding, propagation, soldering, etc. they had to have first hand experience in the matter. Guess what? Many times they don’t know squat about it. They are often just repeating crap they have heard over the years and pass it along.

Antennas are one subject in particular where opinions run strong. If you listen to some “experts” anything less than an antenna cut specifically for a certain band or even frequency range is akin to using a dummy load. I agree that an antenna build and adjusted for particular band will likely work better than a G5RV or similar multi band antenna but it certainly isn’t a dummy load. My first HF antenna was a homemade G5RV. I made contacts all over the world with that and a old Swan 700 I bought for $60.00.

While we are on the subject of antennas, tuners are another hot subject. You hear such earth shattering comments like, “it actually doesn’t tune the antenna.” Well duh!
    “It just makes the transceiver think there is a match to the antenna.” Really.

After being steered down the wrong path a couple of time when i was new to this hobby I have learned to do my own research.

WD4IGX, N2EY, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right, there is no argument. Irregardless isn't a word.

WD4IGX and W4NNF like this.