Ham Rants and Peeves

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Must. Not. Explain. The. Obvious.

N2EY likes this.
  2. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Back to my original point of the world losing it's sense of humor.

Ed

K1OIK likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

One was a VR goggle set. An obvious poke at FT-8.

Virtual Reality

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

See, made me break my own prerogative.

5. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Legend.

6. VE3CEN

VE3CEN Ham Member QRZ Page

My amateur radio pet-peeve is when I finish installing an antenna on a Friday evening, and when I want to test it on Saturday, there's a contest of five going and I'm too shy to make a contact with it, and too lazy to try and figure out what the heck the day's CW "test exchange" is.

Sometimes I just send TT1 TT1 and pray that satiates em!

K1OIK likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks (or not) to the vanity system, neither actual call length (1x2, 1x3,Nx anything, or 2x3 or anywhere in-between) or numerical region mean anything. It has always been FCC standard practice to ALLOW a callsign change with an upgrade, but never a requirement. (Otherwise, I would have had to have three call signs by now...:mad::()

I judge people by their on-air presence and how they conduct themselves; whether they be 10 years old or 110 years old. License class isn't even a consideration. YMMV.

WD4IGX and N2EY like this.
  8. WA9SVD

Do tall trees necessarily negate a tower? I know some who have both, and are STILL nor satisfied!:(:rolleyes:

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, there's an exception.

For many years (1951 until sometime in the 1970s), Novices had distinctive callsigns that were ONLY issued to Novices. A ham couldn't keep the Novice callsign upon upgrading.

This kept the QSL card printers busy.....

As can be seen in previous post, if the FCC had their way in 1965, callsign changes upon upgrading would have been mandatory. Fortunately, they gave up on that idea.

Just imagine the alternate timeline, though. A new ham starts out as a Novice, upgrades to Technician, Conditional, General, First, and Extra in turn. Each upgrade results in a new callsign - six in all!. Everyone can tell what license everyone else holds, plus in the case of Extras and Firsts, whether they are an old-timer or not, and what call district they are in.

I'm glad saner heads prevailed.

73 de Jim, N2EY

10. WA9SVD

Yes, in "ye olde daze," Novices were given a specific call sign beginning with KN, and then WN. If one DID upgrade within the (then) one year non-renewable term for Novice, an"A" MIGHT be replaced for the previous "N" in the suffix. But if the WA or KA or whatever had already been assigned, the upgraded operator would simply be given a new, sequential call.

But with each upgrade, an individual had to ASK for a new callsign, it was NOT automatic. Aside from the upgrade from Novice, there was no FCC requirement for new call signs. SO I have kept my original call sign for the last 50+ years, from Tech through Amateur Extra.