ad: Schulman-1

Ham Rants and Peeves

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe this thread is entitled, "Ham Rants and Peeves", not someone wanting to give you a beating.
    As long as you are ranting stop sending me personal emails about beans, tomatoes and cabbages, It is harassment and the next one is going to QRZ administration @W7UUU . Got it?

N3AB likes this.
  2. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I brought my KX3 to school and let the kids listen to 20 meters and they heard a Michigan ham say he was going from 100 whiskeys to 500 whiskeys and wanted to know how many dog biscuits difference it made. Kids were confused why a guy mixed alcohol with dog treats.
    yuck.jpg

W2AI, W1TRY, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  3. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

My God, that's why hams have a reputation. Absolutely flippin' abominable.

Examples like that known, how dare anyone criticize having some level of standards and some "hoops" to jump through to become a ham?

N2EY likes this.
  4. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting.

What was the question again?

Burt Rants and Peeves?

WZ7U likes this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

not appropriate.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Let's try to keep it on track.

@K1OIK & @VK4HAT please stop mutually trolling each other in this thread. This is your one and only warning.

Remember that anyone sending unwanted PMs or emails is in violation of the Code of Conduct. If anyone feels they are being harassed by another member, remember that PM "conversation" threads also have a "report" button - use it if you want a Moderator to ask someone to back off.

So back to the thread already in progress.... normal ham radio rants and peeves :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AB, K1OIK and N2EY like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know.

So I'll ask this:

Why even bring up the 10 year old? Do you think callsigns should indicate time-in-grade or something similar?

I mean....I've been a ham 52 years, an Extra 49 years, and held the call N2EY for 42 years. Yet if N2EZ or N2EX became available, a brand-new Extra who won the callsign lottery could get one of those calls. And that's OK (with me, anyway).

----

Fun fact:

In 1965, FCC proposed "incentive licensing" changes that were much more than what was finally enacted. Here's a snapshot:

Extra: All privileges. Callsigns of the form W1AA if first licensed before July 1, 1932; WA1AA if first licensed after July 1, 1932

First: Some subbands-by-license-class on 80/75/40/20/15/6/2 meters. Callsigns of the form K1AA if first licensed before July 1, 1932; KA1AA if first licensed after July 1, 1932

Advanced: No new issues. License class phased out by renewing as General.

General: All privileges except those reserved for Extras and Firsts. Callsigns of the form W1AAA

Conditional: All privileges except those reserved for Extras and Firsts. Callsigns of the form WC1AAA, WD1AAA

Technician: Same privileges as existed for Techs of the times. Callsigns of the form WT1AAA, WU1AAA

Novice: Same privileges as existed for Novices of the times except no 2 meter 'phone. Callsigns of the form KN1AAA

(In the above callsign listings, the letter "A" could be replaced by any other letter.)

The First license was meant as a replacement for the Advanced. It would have required 16 wpm code, a written test between the level of General and Extra, and at least 1 year as a General, Conditional or Advanced.

Imagine if that 1965 proposal had been adopted. A new ham who never moved could go through 6 callsigns on the way from Novice to Extra. There would have been 4 different code test speeds and 4 different written exams.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, I just can't resist:

Barbra and I have the same birthday. Not the same year, though.

----

And now for a rant/peeve:

Bad advice.

In some cases, bad advice takes the form of doing something unsafe. ("You're only going up the tower for a minute to tighten one bolt. You don't need the whole harness-and-belt getup!")

In some cases, bad advice takes the form of doing something that is poor practice. ("Don't spend the money for a mast; just use water pipe. Or a piece of fence rail.")

In some cases, bad advice takes the form of doing something that can backfire in a big way. ("Don't get a permit to put up your tower! Just put it up - it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!")

In some cases, bad advice takes the form of a $100 solution to a $1 problem. (LOTS of examples of this).

Etc.

There's also "advice" that is completely useless. Such as telling someone who has already stated that they live on a 40 x 70 foot lot with no trees that they just need to string up an 80 meter dipole 60 feet in the air. Or telling the ham with a $500 budget that s/he should buy a rig costing three times that much.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    W4ZD likes this.
  9. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree entirely. :) "Well shucks, dude, buy a house on a 35-acre lot with two 100-foot trees, each on opposite ends of the lot. Then your antenna concerns are over. Of course, a 300-foot tower is also a possibility." :D

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No use worrying about that: "The Lids, they will be with you always." ;)

K8AI likes this.