ad: Schulman-1

Ham Radio's Role in Homeland Defense

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB5YQH, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB5YQH

KB5YQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

I'm working on an article here at the Army Command and General Staff College (Ft Leavenworth) for the Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence (C4I) writing competition.  The topic is homeland defense and the issues, challenges, recommendations, etc.  If I present a convincing argument and manage to write it well it may help steer the decision-makers a little.   As a ham for the last 10 years (and a "casual" MARS participant) I have a bias towards our service and think we could fill the bill nicely here.  I'd really appreciate your opinions and (mostly) any substantive input you can provide.

Thanks and 73!

MAJ Bob Butts, KB5YQH@arrl.net

Thanks very much to everyone who's responded so far. (great response! )  Please feel free to email me your comments, etc.

FYI - Here's the link, describing the topic and writing requirements, as well as a link to the CGSC web site (so you can see how your tax dollars are being invested - it's a great school).

http://www.cgsc.army.mil/Djco/awards/JC4IAWD.htm

http://www.cgsc.army.mil

2. WA4MJF

WA4MJF Banned QRZ Page

Here in NC there is a great deal more emphasis on RACES than I've seen in many years.

Dustin' of the regs and gettin ROs appointed and
    members registered.

Also, new ARES MOU between State and ARRL at HQ
    for staffin' and signature.

73 de Ronnie

3. AC7NA

AC7NA Ham Member QRZ Page

My input would be that the Amateur radio community has now, and has had a reliable communications network in place (the NTS) for almost as long as radio has been around.  It is an active system in daily use that can be accessed anytime in time of emergency.  It utilizes all major modes (CW, SSB, and packet) and is very robust.

The current surge in ARES/RACES participation (at least in my area) is an indication that hams are a dedicated and determined group that stands ready to act in times of need.

It might also be helpful to the ham community if you mention the current CC&R plight many hams are facing (luckily, I am not one of them).  Covenant restrictions that prohibit antennas are a growing problem that severely restricts our ability to provide reliable long-range communications in the event of an emergency.

Just my $.02

Brian AC7NA

4. K4MLS

K4MLS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The current surge in ARES/RACES participation (at least in my area) is an indication that hams are a dedicated and determined group that stands ready to act in times of need.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If anything, I'd say the current surge of participation is a bad thing. You're going to end up spending a lot of time and energy on folks who won't still be with you in another six months. I'd be willing to bet you that interest will fall off fairly quickly. You say they are 'dedicated and determined' but not enough time has passed to really tell that.

In the weeks following the attacks, I saw flags on ever car, business and house. Six months later, you see fewer flags and the ones you do see are ragged or on the side of the road.

I don't see ARES/RACES gaining through this surge. Maybe a few new, long-term members will rise from the unwashed masses but I don't think this will result in a substantial sustained growth period. If it does, great, but don't get your hopes up.

Matt (k4mls)

5. WX4DC

WX4DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel you are on the right track. As a ham with RACES intrest I have alrerady gone thru the paces , along w/ club members, of getting the proper traffic passing forms ready and making sure all base as well as mobile equiptment is up and going. Our hobby has a lot to offer in time of emergency as most EMA agencys well know. If you are affiliated with EMA your skills are already being counted on and banked.Our equiptment can be operated in very noticeable set ups using amps, beams , and towers or we can set up portable using battery power and  what seems to be an innocent clothes line for an antenna. Very stealth and portable. Hmm sounds like several good characteristics to me. As much as it pains me to say, we may be better equipted to handle communications in time of disaster than out local military.

Another .02 worth

Dee

6. KD7NM

KD7NM Ham Member QRZ Page

Another thought: Supporting amateur radio communications potentially means providing a communications capability between military activities and local community and government (via ARES/RACES) that uses the available operators and radio resources offered by the associated hams at both ends of the link. It does this in a way that minimizes the resources that the military has to commit to any particular venue, since typically the amateur operator comes equipped with his/her own communications equipment. I see this to be of value in both tactical and logisitical communications requirements. The big tactical advantage is that the radio operator at each end of the link will most likely be knowledgable in the technical terms and slang used at their "end" of the link, and will be able to provide translation to the op at the other end, if needed, to accomplish the message delivery in a manner understanable at the destination of the communication.

Bob, KD7NM

7. AD8MP

AD8MP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings Major Butts,

First let me thank you for your efforts.  We need good input in the area of homeland defence and you seem to be in an excellent position to do just that.  Remind them that the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio means that we don't get paid for what we do, and that it does not mean that we don't know what we're doing.

Some points to consider.
    Age - We have that age that brings wisdom and knowledge.
    Youth - we have the youth that brings energy and ability.

We have our own equipment, we know how it works and we know how to set it up.

We practice, practice, practice and experiment.  If it can be done we can do it.

The army of radio ops already exists, they just need to use us.  I for one am ready, willing and able.

We already have access to a vast amount of spectrum and we know what freq works to what part of the world.  

We have many modes which allow for informal qso between agencies as well as error free commuication when accuracy of data is necessary.

I hope this helps.  :)

God Bless you in your efforts,

Semper Fi (Not just for the Jar Heads anymore).

David, KE4QDM/8

8. N8AVX

N8AVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Major Butts,

You might draw some parallels with history, when the WW broke out, hams provided the initial trained cadre of operators and technicians needed for the rapidly expanding effort until comm schools ramped up to provide enough homegrown assets. They served as valuable teachers and mentors in the initial stages of the conflicts.

With the new emphasis on homeland defense, it makes sense to again tap the trained, knowledgeable, and dedicated communications experts that comprise the ranks of amateur radio.

James H. Smith II USAF Retired
    N8AVX
    Comm/Nav B-52/KC-135/E-3

9. n6nko

n6nko Guest

Maj. Butts:

Good luck on your paper for the competition. The subject is an extremely worthwhile and current topic. The hams here in Wisconsin had the chance to participate in a communications exercise with the Wisconsin Army National Guard on their assigned frequencies 2-3 March 2002 [​IMG] Interoperability exercises like this are great for training and learning the different protocols necessary to pass traffic between the services. If anything really did happen, we hams have the best chances to work many different modes and frequencies at a moments notice.

One thing that I noticed that really stood out was that the ham radio stations had consistently stronger and easier copied voice signals than the military stations.

Good Luck with the contest and 73,

Richard E. Polivka, N6NKO

10. W2TMA

W2TMA Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing you may want to consider which I haven't seen anyone mention, and indeed it's not a nice thing to think about but it should be considered, is the fact that our own Amateur Service could actually be used by potential enemys. It is very easy to aquire Ham equipment and there are many bands, modes and frequencys that an informed terrorist or other criminal could use without much chance of discovery. I know in this time of worry and fear this is not something we want to hear, but there is something we can all do.... USE YOUR PRIVILEDGES and be an active operator! Scan the bands and keep an ear open for anything strange....it can only help matters and that includes preventing loss of our bands as well!

And of course Join RACES as well!!!

Rich

11. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] If he wins the contest, will they let him out of Leavenworth early for good grammer? [​IMG]

73 de Craig..........KCØGOA [​IMG]

12. Guest

Guest Guest

As A RACES and ARIES member we have always been working to be prepared for disaster! Weather it comes from natural or Man made sources. The Amateur Radio Service must be prepared to take control of emergency communication coordination in times of need! Homeland defence is just another instance of the value of the Amateur Service. I implore all Hams to contact they're local RACES and ARES coordinaters and join! IT IS YOUR PATRIOTIC DUTY ! The value of coordinated communications in an emergency can make the difference between A situation and A full blown disaster! The loss of live and suffering can be greatly reduced with reliable communications! Glenn KO4VP

13. W9IND

W9IND Ham Member QRZ Page

I salute the work done by the dedicated members of RACES/ARES and the like, but let me offer you some additional food for thought. Sometimes, the people best equipped to handle emergency communications are none other than DXers and contesters. If that sounds radical, consider what they have to offer: (1) some of the biggest, most powerful stations in the U.S.; (2) experience with a wide range of band conditions and propagation; (3) a proven ability to improvise; (4) experience at exchanging information as quickly as possible; and (5) grace under pressure. Sure, they might not always know message preambles, net protocol, etc., but does any of that really matter in an emergency?

I'd say no -- and I'm not speaking theoretically. During the 1987 Pan American Games, the station used for W87PAX was one of the best in the Midwest. As one of the ops in that record-breaking special event effort, I can tell you that it all starts with a strong station. With no prior experience or arrangements, we were able to get on the air, quickly set up a regular-meeting Caribbean/South American traffic net and efficiently pass messages from athletes to their home countries. (Many participating stations felt a sense of national pride in being able to help out.) I've also seen instances when a contest station was able to get messages in and out of a disaster-stricken area (often communicating under marginal conditions with small stations using dipole antennas and emergency power) while traditional emergency-oriented stations, lacking such a first-rate set-up, were unable to punch through or hold a frequency.

Don't get me wrong. The amateur community needs the fine work of ARES, RACES, MARS, Red Cross stations and everyone else interested in public service. All I'm suggesting is that contesters -- the same group of operators often lambasted for filling the band with "5-9" patter and interference (and I'm not saying that never happens) -- may be one of the biggest untapped communications resources available, not only for ham radio, but for the nation itself. And despite contesters' competitive nature, I don't know any who would say no to helping their country -- IF they were asked to. Let's not let foolish pride and turf wars get in the way of a sound option.

Something unorthodox for you to consider as you write your paper ... good luck and 73 to all.

Brian, W9IND
    (ex-WO9I, KA9OIH, WN9ICB)

14. N9ZRT

N9ZRT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob,

We are seeing many Amateurs visiting the "Hams For Enduring Freedom" Website [HamsEF]. This site exists for Hams to be radio-ready, to search out and print out the nets they would need if things came to a crisis in their area. The Boy Scout motto is alive and well in Amateur Radio.

http://www.wireservices.com/hamsef/

David H. Hatch - N9ZRT

15. AC7KH

AC7KH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir;

don't forget that in your own back yard, you also have trained (by the Army) Amateur Radio Operators on board. i.e. US Army MARS.

Most of us have ties into ARES/RACES that would not require a MOU or other agreements. We currently support the Red Cross and other agencies as well.

Robert Renfro
    AC7KH/ON9CKH/AEM8AA
    GS-12, DAC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.