ad: elecraft

Ham Radio's Role in California Outages?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2JKT, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

97.111(b)(5) & 97.111(b)(6)

K3XR and W4POT like this.
  2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

PSNH, now Eversource, cleared the overgrown power lines here in NH about 5-6 yrs ago. But that was due to winter weather disasters, not fire danger. Major outages in '08 from an epic ice storm. We have a high-v line across the back of our property with a 100' right-of-way, which looked like it probably had not been maintained in 50 yrs, other than mowing. They probably doubled the width of the cleared zone.

They left us with the felled trees, which I put to use in a timber-frame shed. That was an interesting exercise...

3. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure the repeater circuitry can tell the difference between a Baofeng HT and a Kenwood one. As for transmit quality, the few times I've used my Baofengs on local repeater nets nobody has commented on any signal issues. I once saw a YT video where some guy with a lot more test equipment than I will ever have put a Baofeng through its paces and the signal quality was nearly equal to a much more expensive Japanese HT. The big problem with the Baofeng is that the included rubber ducky is a few loops of wire encased in plastic and will burn up your final output transistor if you use it for too long. But I don't think anybody uses the rubber ducky whip with a HT, be it Baofeng or Kenwood, unless they just got their Tech ticket.

4. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Been listening to the North Hills K6IS repeater every so often, only to hear dead air. K6IS is the designated ARES for Sacramento. Tried the other big repeater, N6NA River City, nothing there either. I'm out of range of repeaters up in the foothills where the power has been out since midnight local, such as Sierra Foothill W6EK.

WA4CZD likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio will be very useful through this emergency, as it will allow people to discuss their gallstones and stuff.

WW2PT, W0RIO, K4PIH and 3 others like this.
  6. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks a lot! I just spit my beer across the room with that comment.:p:p:p

K4PIH and WZ7U like this.
  7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. No power for over a week where I was living in Mont Vernon at the time.

8. KD1W

KD1W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Asplundh tree service was supposed to do a lot of clearing around power lines here this summer. They did some but not much. We still had a power outage the other day for about 10 hours. Thankfully we do have a generator for heat, refrigerator, etc. Last year we were without power for almost a full week due to a storm. I don't know how people handle it without backup power!

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

ex-K1MAN?

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Only if they all destinated at the Florida ranch.