Ham Radio's Role in California Outages?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2JKT, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

With all that frozen food, they could throw one hell of a Block Party/BBQ, and nobody would be the wiser. Grab some Pineapple & Tiki Torches & go Hawaiian Style.
    They can pretend that those are southern trade winds...

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In an ideal world, perhaps.

However, some people have vital medical equipment that needs power to run and which may have only limited battery backup power. A number of those people may not have the physical mobility or ready funds to get or run a generator.

Also, well pumps don't work without AC power so some people may run out of water for themselves and/or livestock. Yes, I know about filling bathtubs, etc. Not everyone has the ability to do it, and some just won't think to do it. Livestock can consume large quantities too.

KA4DPO likes this.
  3. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yessir! I just heard from the news channels that all, yes ALL, of the glaciers must have melted. It has reported that they have not been seen recently. H.A.M. nets may be acivitated to allow, those safely in their in their shacked, to bring glacier sighting reports.

Glad to have been moved years ago.

Chuck

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought Baofeng radios were banned from using those repeaters.

Is that Fake News ?

The IRLP Win System may be the most usefully.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/8468/web

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You bring up a good point. In the outage maps I've seen of my home county, the majority of the affected land area has little or no cell service. But the majority of affected businesses and residences are concentrated in small areas, and those places are much more likely to have service.

There are plenty of people in the affected counties who live in areas with no cell service, period.

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Will Mainstream Media have enough power to cover the looting?

AG5CK likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Only if it's fake.

8. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I know. Last big snow storm found the EOC closed because of an emergency.
    Mike N3PM

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything will be fine.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Windmills? The farmers will have already prepared for those contingencies because that's what farmers do. And don't forget they were given ample warning.
    You can bet that somewhere down the road there will also be lawsuits to recover lost income.

As for medical equipment, I understand that but I am not sure that the power will be off for long periods. I have also not heard of anyone having a problem, have you?

And how exactly would ham radio do anything to help that situation? Unless the paralyzed blind and deaf person takes off their ventilator and calls CQD on the local repeater.