Ham Radio's Role in California Outages?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2JKT, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cell service is still up. If you have a small solar charger for your phone you are good to go. Also, wire line home phone service is up and will also stay up because the exchanges have generators. I seriously doubt that amateur radio will be valuable other than just talking about the power being out.

KD8DEY likes this.
  2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio there might be more useful if it magically connected California residents with multiple interstate moving companies.

WW2PT, K4TTJ, K0IDT and 8 others like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

From time to time a post appears on the Zed that causes me to laugh out loud. Thanks.

K0UO and KD8DEY like this.
  4. KA4DPO

Ohhh, think of the carbon footprint of all those generators humming away. Greta will have spasms, HOW DARE THEY HAVE ELECTRICITY?:rolleyes:

WW2PT, K0IDT, K0UO and 3 others like this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It might not have been only mismanagement by PGE.

I wonder how much of the lack of “tree management” might have been affected by attitudes toward herbicides there. A very effective way to prevent trees from growing on a major power line right-of-way is to spray persistent herbicides.

I also wonder how much money was available for tree management after the utility commission’s rate setting and various requirements not to shut off power on deadbeats and the like. From news reports in reputable publications it seems that PGE also wasn’t able (or willing?) to maintain hardware on many lines.

I don’t know if these were factors, just asking.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    K0UO likes this.
  6. W1KU

W1KU Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the status of long-term cellular backup power these days (either USA generally or in CA)? PG&E seems to be implying these manmade outages could go on for 5 days or longer.

Is backup still largely 8-hour batteries or generators? Piped-in gas if available or always diesel? If diesel, do the carriers have delivery contingencies for continuity over extended widespread outages?

Or is the contingency plan to bring in COWs instead of maintaining power at permanent sites?

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Beats me, I'm not a PG&E customer.

We have our own "power" company here, LADWP which is city (public) owned and managed.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean that dear, little Scoldilocks?

WW2PT, K0IDT, KK4GGL and 3 others like this.
  9. KA4DPO

I guess we will find out, but my guess is they have sufficient power for at least a week. Anyway, wired telephones are on a completely different system and the exchanges can go for weeks using their generators. Bottom line, amateur radio will not play any significant role in the situation, so who really cares?

10. W1KU

W1KU Ham Member QRZ Page

How many homes or businesses still have "real" wired phones that will work with only central office power?

I have non-technically-inclined family members in the affected area. If the cell network goes down over a wide area due to a "5 days or longer" manmade power outage, my best options for getting H&W status for those family members would seem to be NTS traffic and the USPS (assuming that infrastructure is resilient).