Ham Radio's Role in California Outages?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2JKT, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure it works out, and I was surprised it was only 8 days.

Remember during daylight hours the system is being recharged by the panels. So, "off grid" for 8 days really isn't very much; the batteries are really only being depleted during dark hours.

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is nucking futs and a clear signal of failed energy policy. Here in TX and OK electricity runs 7 to 9 cents per Kwh for the first 2500 Kwh and goes lower if you use more than 2500 Kwh. Use all you want, the more you use, the lower the price.

KX4Z and NL7W like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, you didn't mention solar re-charging. My bad, I should have assumed that :) So why didn't it last for more than 8 days? If sized properly it seems like it should work 'forever'.

4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

HI, -- THANKS SO MUCH for those points! Yes, I doubt that I come anywhere close to the wonderful environment the phone companies provide. It would be prohibitively expensive for me to do so. I don't know if the "public" batteries include Rolls or not. I bought the cheaper Rolls batteries, not their most expensive. I guess we'll find out in 2 more years!!! As long as they can provide me with overnight power, I suspect we'll keep them The prediction on regular cycling at the levels I do was around 1200 cycles if I remember. It was a while back.

Thanks again for the information!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, probably not forever. I'd have guessed a couple of weeks, though.

Depends on how many panels are installed, how much daylight they receive, and what your load really is.

I think "the load" is often more than we think it is: "Honey, I'm going to do a load of clothes..." and the washing machine might intermittently draw 500VA and almost continuously draw 250VA and nobody thinks about it. Stuff like that. Some consumptions are difficult to predict, and even if you measure them, that's a one-time measurement that can change over time.

I've never measured our "sleeptime" power consumption here (nighttime when we're not doing anything!) but it's probably in the 300-500VA range just from fridges running, plus various "chargers" and computers "sleeping" and night lights and stuff. We also have almost 1200W of outdoor lighting that's motion activated. Normally, consumption is zero. But if a cat walks through the yard...geesh, that can be 400W of floodlights that draw power for about 3 minutes. I've seen the wind set that off many times, also, just from tree branches moving.

6. KF5LJW

That is super easy to answer. Works just like money, you go bankrupt from deficit charging.

So you are 20 years old, your parents throw you out of the house and give you $500. You gotta a job and make $50/day. It cost you $100/day to survive. In a week or so you are bankrupt and dead. Same thing with the battery in deficit charging. The energy used is not being fully replaced each day because the solar system does not generate enough energy in a day to replace what was used the night before.

Morrow of the story, live below your means, save back 10% every pay period. Do that for 20 years and retire young. They do not teach that in school.

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

20 cents is extremely high. Hawaii is about 28 cents/kWh I believe, and that's because they have to burn oil brought in by tanker. No wonder you like solar there.

At my house in CO it's about 10 cents; 30% of that is renewables (and increasing). If I had to pay 20 cents I'd be installing solar too.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Moral. They don't teach spelling either, apparently. ;)

KP4SX and W7UUU like this.
  9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

If we lost power forever, we would be fine for many years. (on THAT score, anyway) Simply scale back our energy usage to about 25-30 kwHr per day, and we would sell the remaining power to charge batteries for others. Rfrigerators, microwave, crockpot, window AC, inverter AC....not a problem. Window AC for one room is 500 watts, figure 6 kWhr/24 hours Probably make a fortune. We have other backup power sources that could be turned to if there were a long period of no sun. This isn't rocket science. If we lost power forever, there are OTHER problems that would be more concerning by far, and many people have already figured those out. American Blackout 2013 by National Geographic does a good job of showing how various types of people respond (docudrama fiction)

10. KF5LJW

Rolls batteries are like Trojan, they have entry level 2-year batteries that are better than what you get at wallyworld or a marine center. They also have Industrial grade batteries with 10-year warranties. Rolls caters to Marine and Rail Road markets with Solar and Renewable energy on the side. Trojan caters to Golf Cart and NEV's, and Industrial customers.

Batteries are classified into three markets, consumer, commercial, and industrial. The public has access to the commercial and industrial markets if you have deep enough pockets and know what you are looking for. Batteries are not created equal. They are designed with specific task in mind.

KX4O likes this.