ad: elecraft

Ham Radio University Founder N2MUN (SK)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KS2G, Mar 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Phil Lewis, N2MUN, who founded the ARRL NY City-Long Island Section’s annual “Ham Radio University” educational conference, passed away on March 5th following a long battle with cancer.

A well-known and widely-respected figure in the Long Island amateur radio community, Lewis was a former president of the Great South Bay Amateur Radio Club (GSBARC) and the Order of Boiled Owls of New York (OBONY) contesting and DX club.

In 1999, he came up with the idea of a day of continuing education for the region’s amateur radio community. Working with a small, dedicated group of fellow hams inspired by his vision, Lewis established the first annual “Ham Radio University” educational conference in January, 2000 and served as the first chairman of its organizing committee for four years, and then as a key member of the committee in the years since. HRU has grown and expanded over the past two decades and each year now drawns more than 300 attendees to more than two dozen forums and hands-on workshops covering a broad range of amateur radio information and activities.

Lewis was a graduate of RCA Institutes, America’s oldest radio school, and spent his professional career in aerospace and defense electronics on Long Island at Hazeltine Corporation and BAE Systems, retiring seven years ago after 43 years of service.

First licensed in 1991, Lewis was an avid contester, with membership in the Yankee Clipper Contest Club (YCCC), as well as a DX’er on the DXCC Honor Roll. He also had been a volunteer examiner and licensing-class instructor. In 2000, he was honored for his dedication to the region’s ham radio community as ARRL Hudson Division Amateur of the Year.
    N2MUN-FD17.jpg

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Phil did a great job of organizing a wonderful conference and motivating new and old hams. He will be sorely missed!

RIP.

3. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve had a lot of QSO’s with Phil over the years. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Curt
    WU3U

4. W3KKO

W3KKO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just checked my log.... worked Phil when he was at IOTA NA26 in 2017.
    RIP and God Speed
    Cliff W3KKO

5. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, Phil. HRU is a fun way to get back into Ham and it is a great place to meet, greet and learn. You made the world a better place.

God Bless.

6. K2EJ

K2EJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember Phil back when I used to live on Long Island. I had the privilege to sit with him and his family at a local diner when he took over the Affiliated Club Coordinator position from me back in April 2000. RIP brother.

Steve K2EJ

7. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

'Aloha Oe' to a fine Ham

G3SEA/KH6

8. N9UO

N9UO Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP

9. AA2EC

AA2EC Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP
    Thank you

10. WA2KXE

WA2KXE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew Phil personally for many years. Since 2012, I was on the HRU planning committee, working on upcoming Ham Radio University events. As noted, Phil was one of the founders of HRU and despite his many years of experience in planning the event, he always listened to and appreciated any comments or suggestions that I had. Phil was a true gentleman, a fine father and an outstanding amateur radio operator! He will be sorely missed here on Long Island, New York as well as on the bands, worldwide. R.I.P., my good friend, Phil. Art WA2KXE

W2KFV and KS2G like this.
  11. K7OTA

K7OTA Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest in Peace. My brother in law bought the program for me around 2005. I still have the original disc and receipt along with the envelope that was used to send it. May have to see if it still works with the key.

12. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the condolences -- but I think you're confusing Ham University, a Morse code training program (https://download.cnet.com/Ham-University/3000-2130_4-10027235.html) --or some other piece of amateur radio computer software-- with Ham Radio University, the annual educational conference that N2MUN founded in Long Island, NY (http://hamradiouniversity.org/).

;)

13. K7OTA

K7OTA Ham Member QRZ Page

@KS2G

I apologize... I just now looked at this again and then realized it was two different Ham University. Nonetheless, May N2MUN Rest in Peace.

14. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked Phil a few times, (I check the log) and in my notes, (Great guy), and super QSO...

My condolences, may Phil rest in peace.

NN2X, Tom

15. KF0UR

KF0UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So sad to hear. Phil & I QSO'd many times and it wasn't until I visited him as a side trip to Long Island to see relatives that we realized we went to the same high school and were in the same WB2EJZ radio club at Lawrence HS, although a few years apart. In fact, he had a yearbook that had a picture of me in it! It blew me away. It was so nice to have an eyeball QSO with him after all those years. What a gent.

Shel KF0UR
    Colorado Springs, CO