Ham radio to promote Religion

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9DAM, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9DAM

KC9DAM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    First some backround on myself, I'm 14 and live in Illinois. About 7 months ago I had a qso with kb9nwm the principal of a school who was a Baptist minister. We had a nice qso and I spoke with some children. I sent out some qsl's and he did also.When I got the qsl card, on the back was 7 ways to get to heaven. I also got some info on his religion that he sent me in packets. So here's my question for your opinions. I'm Catholic and not against any religion, I respect everyone's beleifs, but promoting your Religion on the ham radio is going way too far. Please share your opinions.

2. K6PME

K6PME Ham Member QRZ Page

As a Christain I have wondered about this myself. I have also wondered how I would put it on my future QSL cards. I believe that a small saying, phrase, symbol or verse would be ok. After all we are ALL individuals with our own beliefs and a QSL card is an extension of who you are. And of course I would expect a Baptist Minister to say something.

I personally am thinking about something subtle from Genesis pre-Abraham. That would cover all the major religeons.

However, preaching per se, here, on the air, or otherwise would not be appropriate.

3. wb6bcn

wb6bcn Ham Member QRZ Page

A phrase I use a lot "Anything in modoration"
    If I was owner of a vineyard,  and had prices of my products on a QSL card,  I would consider this as overboard.  However,  If I had suggestions of what wines went with with certain foods,  this is something totally different.

Selling ones wares on a QSL card,  I think is out of order,  mentioning you have a product,  or skill,  if done right I think is ok.

There are some religeous nets on 80 meters.  One is a prayer net.  The person leading the net claims to be an ordained minister,  but mentions no denomination.  He simply starts asking ig anyone needs prayers for themselves or a loved one.  The few times I listened in,  I found it to be run in an orderly,  and what I consider unoffensive manner.

Someone else may be offended by this is what comes of differing views.

My input.

4. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

I cannot fault anyone for following the dictates of their conscious or convictions.

A lot of the guys I QSO on CW end with, "God bless you and your family." I take no offense; I need all the blessings I can get . . .

To me, that QSL would not be offensive. Now, someone screaming on the air that if I didn't do things his way, I would be going to hell - that would be a different story.

5. wb6bcn

wb6bcn Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ae4fa @ Mar. 25 2004,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I cannot fault anyone for following the dictates of their conscious or convictions.  

A lot of the guys I QSO on CW end with, &quot;God bless you and your family.&quot;  I take no offense; I need all the blessings I can get . . .

To me, that QSL would not be offensive.  Now, someone screaming on the air that if I didn't do things his way, I would be going to hell - that would be a different story.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Amen!

6. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, you can put whatever you want on your card, it is a free country. However, there are many out there who not only do not believe in god but feel that religion/religious differences is/are a bad thing and a major cause of human suffering in this world. (i.e. not good). You think that Christianity is good and the teachings of Christ promote tolerance towards others, OBL and his followers feel their religion justifies blowing away all those who disagree with them, blah, blah, blah. You don't agree with their &quot;religion&quot;, they don't agree with yours. They should live, you should die, blah, blah, blah.

In the same way that Ham radio and politics don't mix, Ham radio and religion don't mix. Come to think of it, there is very little that mixes well with religion except.... religion!

You will either be preaching to the choir or annoying those who disagree with you. If you don't mind this, then knock yourself out. But you DID ask for opinions. (I'll venture a wild guess here that I will be in the minority.)

paul

7. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] to wb6bcn...what is the FREQUENCY of the &quot; religious net &quot; , I would love to participitate in it if I can !! [​IMG] I am always willing to mention GOD over the airwaves, be it either HF or 2 meter repeater, or vhf/uhf simplex.. Those who dont like it are free to do what ever they feel is necessary. ... and another point that is hardly ever mentioned is that at least 99% of man s inventions through all the years were originally meant for GOOD, it just was MAN that changed some of these inventions for EVIL purposes. GOOD wins over EVIL every time ( no doubt about it !&#33[​IMG] [​IMG] PRAISE the LORD !! ---ai4ep---

8. K6PME

K6PME Ham Member QRZ Page

Well ai4ep, you certainly have the license for it [​IMG] Perhaps this might be my final motivation for the code test. [​IMG]

Now if I can just put down the soldering iron and stop building things I'm not licensed to use......

You go Brother.........You go!

9. W8IDB

W8IDB Ham Member QRZ Page

10. XV2PS

XV2PS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't care on QSL cards, but on the air, religion or politics, it would really crack me up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.