ad: QSLWorks-1

Ham Radio - The Malahit DSP portable SDR receiver.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Apr 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tried that of course. All I get is a wide spectrum noise and no signals at all.

2. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll add my two cents.

I too deliberated on this radio. I ordered the upgraded version from Amazon and it was sent back to the vendor instantly. There was a known issue where the LSB/USB were literally wired backwards. I was sent a new replacement direct from Hong Kong and that unit was a keeper. It actually arrived in three days to the east coast (crazy fast).

I've opted to use this radio for auxiliary listening (hunting). I have the malahit and my hack rf working side by side using the same mini-whip antenna. For whatever reason, the malahit can receive broadcast FM with the mini-whip where the hack rf does not (need to switch over to telescoping antenna. IN any case, neither of these radios were intended to be used above VHF...but both do a fine job at it. I prefer the operation of the malahit over the hack rf, but the hack rf does TX so its nice for wspr and other QRP ops.

For HF listening, the malahit with the mini whip is pretty remarkable. To date, I've still not tested it outside with a ground as it performs better than my collection of SWL radios (including pl 880 and grundig 750) while indoors. The malahit will go LOW and stops around 50khz. The rack rf stops around 200khz (but goes up to 6ghz). Both radios can be visually adjusted as the waterfalls can be tweaked. The malahit has the advantage with the bigger screen, but the contrast is better on the hack rf. Reception of the malahit is objectively...very good. With proper AGC settings and with the onboard NR active, its possible to pick signal out of the background quite nicely (although the wolf wave is still better at NR). As an SDR, its rather sensitive. However, the hack rf running the havoc firmware is probably still more interesting for what it can do...but the lack of onboard battery and speaker limits is usability. But running the two together...THAT IS FUN! You can scan ADS on the hack rf and tune FT8 or whatever on the malahit.

If the malahit could decode digital signals (C4FM, DSTAR, etc...) it would be the most versatile RX device out there. But, even without that feature, it is certainly worth every penny paid and then some. A stand alone SDR radio that performs as well as a pl880 in half the size...is quite amazing. My dream radio now would be for a slightly large malahit with better speakers and digital decoding. Im sure this will exist within the coming years.

20210416_102217.jpg 20210416_102202.jpg 20210416_102217.jpg 20210416_102202.jpg Inked20210416_102138_LI.jpg

RZ1O likes this.
  3. W4EGE

I can confirm that. tele-whips are only good for 80 Mhz and above on the malahit. The mini-whip may be an exception...im not 100% sure how this gem works, but it seems to have a mag-loop sort of function to it.

4. W4EGE

I had a similar experience with the first one I ordered. However, the vendor did find the issue and replaced/shipped a replacement at no cost in under a week. Despite the malahit on amazon being a clone...getting a working unit is pretty nice.

5. W4EGE

100%. This comparison of GP-5 vs Malahit is like saying a honda three wheeler from the 80s is the same thing as fully loaded Camry from last year. Silly comparison i know. But the only thing the two radios have in common is that they RX. As for the size comparison...the malahit is 14.25 cubic inches where the GP-5 is 10.2. The difference between the two is literally less than a snickers bar. I'd rather carry the extra candy bar for the obvious advantages of a pocket sized stand alone SDR.

N6ALT and W4NNF like this.
  6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

[Never mind, was asking for a text summary so I could skim/search but someone posted a link to a written review.]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Should have read this before I posted above, thanks!

8. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I wrote Georgiy in October about this. I personally really would only consider buying it from him as I am not interested in a knockoff. He was very responsive, my only holdback was the complexity of the buying process. I ended up with the 705 in large part because of the ability to receive with a gorgeous waterfall. There's a real market for portable self-contained receivers with spectral displays in my opinion.

Mindy

KD9PTO likes this.
  10. KB9RLW

KB9RLW Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an SMA to BNC adapter and then a BNC to binding post adapter to attach the wire and alligator clip.

11. W4EGE

Here are a few links:

This explains how it works (PA0RDT was the original developer): http://www.pa3fwm.nl/technotes/tn07.html

There are many links on Ebay and amazon for complete ready to hang kits. I opted for a DIY kit from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/10KHz-30MHz-...ld=1&keywords=mini+whip&qid=1618853030&sr=8-4

The amazon link above comes with two warnings: 1) there are no instructions, so you better be handy with rosin and solder 2) if you connected the injector backwards you can mess up the injector...be mindful with the direction. Consult my photos above for correct orientation. Ive used the mini-whip mostly un-grounded so far. Im certain that using it as directed the performance is/will be stellar as its already very good with no ground. A large metal slug may be enough of a ground I've observed.

KK6QMS likes this.
  12. K2STP

K2STP Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting "rig up" you have there.... Is there a specific length required for the feed cable between the bias t and the antenna module?

13. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting. DRM for HF broadcasts would have been nice. As far as VHF and UHF goes there is very little non-digital voice being used, at least where I live. I would still have to use my PC to decode most transmissions. For that price something by SDRplay might be a better value. I can plug in my laptop or tablet and decode almost anything that is not digitally encrypted. I can also use a scheduler to ensure an IQ recording can be made of the spectrum or frequency in question. An SDRplay and a Pi would work as well. This device only has 160 kHz available to it which would limit any serious monitoring. It would be fun camping, going to races etc.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  14. W4EGE

I did not use a specific length. I made mine VERY SHORT so i could have a stand alone set up. The whole rig (both radios, the antenna and speakers) are fueled by a usb power pack.
    I'm unsure if the injector needs to be close to the antenna or if that can be installed in the shack. that info might be in one of the links i posted.

15. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe you're not having a crime wave?