ad: wmr-1

Ham Radio - The ABBREE VHF UHF "tactical" antenna.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 26, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Shut up and take my money! :D

N0TZU, AD5HR and AK5B like this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Er, maybe for a 3-50Z by the looks of the size...?

W1YW and UT7UX like this.
  3. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

the one at far right is reminiscent of the radio shack center-loaded cb antennas from the 70s. also
    L-shaped for tabletop use?

4. KA0USE

what does 'tactically folded' mean? is there a 'civilian folded' model?

UT7UX and AK5B like this.
  5. AK5B

Of course! There's one for every occasion and type of user! We are in this for EVERYONE'S money!

UT7UX and KA0USE like this.
  6. KA0USE

there are a hundred fields in which advertisers use buzz-words that stimulate the spending of money
    on things that work poorly or not at all- peloton exercise equipment comes first to mind. why are the
    users/models all buff? there should be progressive scenes showing progress. then there's the little
    pedal doodad one pedals in front of your recliner while watching an action film- and eating ho-ho's,
    koo-koo's, ring-dings, ding dongs, snicker doodles, flim-flams, whoppers (a personal fave, but we're
    not here to discuss MY sins or sinning-ohhhhhh, no), cheetos (same again on the personal sinning),
    et al.
    i can just see tom cruise swinging on a cable, reaching out of your 4-d tv screen to grab a handfull
    of your ticky-tacky's and taking a big swig of your beer/ultra-high sugar sodawater**, then receding and
    going back into action.

UT7UX likes this.
  7. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Tactically folded - current day.
    [​IMG]

Back in my day, the smart RTO would tuck the AT/892 (PRC-77 blade antenna) into their LBE to avoid being any more of a target. Nothing like a big old AT/271 sticking up out of the elephant grass to draw incoming fire.

Civilian folding - I have no idea.

AD7SK, UT7UX, DO1FER and 1 other person like this.
  8. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

Airsoft LARP'er kid antenna

[​IMG]

W0DN, KO2Q, K4GTE and 1 other person like this.
  9. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Antenna costs more that the radio ?

10. AK5B

That's actually a good thing (especially so at HF and still valid for VHF/UHF dxing).;)

Usually hams spend more on the rig and then cheap-out on coax and antennas which are the crucial element in the overall equation.

KO2Q, KA0USE and UT7UX like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to admit all these comments are very confusing to me. Here's why...

Despite the huge growth in Techs in the last 15 years, the actual number of users on repeaters has dropped like a stone. IOW people aren't using their HT handhelds. They are stowing them away.

So I see a highly publicized product review on QRZed, and I have to wonder WHY we are seeing it, when so FEW actual USERS are using HT's.

What, exactly, is this pending disaster that will bring the dust off the HT's and REQUIRE a tactical antenna?

???

If we address the supposed issue, then the cocommitant 'best antenna' solution can then be addressed.

AK5B and UT7UX like this.
  12. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not my radio. :)

13. UT7UX

I'm somewhat curious about cost price. Few years ago I heard a Baojunk radio costs some $7 EXW. I can neither confirm nor refute this figure. Anyway EXW price includes the manufacturer's profit.

Baojunk radio roughly consists of:
    • endless number of plastic elements to be assembled to chassis, charger, battery, as well as knobs
    • battery itself
    • keyboards (front DTMF and side PTT+F keys)
    • complete PCB with LCD
    • charger PCB no matter how simple it is
    • rubber duck (BTW not the worst of them)
    • wall power supply
    • screws and so on
    • cardboard box
    • plastic inserts for cardboard box
    • large number of LDPE bags
    • printed almost user manual
    • probably handstrap
    • etc.
    Antenna consists of:
    • antenna itself (more or less similar to one that comes with Baojunk radio as the standard)
    • LDPE or similar bag

Hmm... Looks not exactly comparable.

AK5B and K4GTE like this.
  14. K4GTE

K4GTE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Tactical". I don't think this word means what you think it means. Complete Chinese junk antenna. But it's a good match for the "tactical-military" overpriced Baofeng junk radio.

15. UT7UX

This may work on HF. One could build basic still uncompromising antenna like a groundplane or a dipole for cheap from pieces of wires, probably some pipes, and other crap. Losses in cheap coax may still be negligible on HF. With some more effort one could build more advanced antenna like wire Moxon or wire Yagi from the same crap. That said doesn't necessary mean this will work on HF still it may.

VHF and up is pretty different thing. One 20' Yagi on an azimutal rotator is absolute minimum for digital modes and is below absolute minimum for CW. I'd say four stacked 20' Yagis on an alt-azimutal rotator is the absolute minimum. Not only boom length itself matters but the pattern: each antenna apart has to have smooth main lobe and deeply suppressed side and rear lobes as if stacked unwanted lobes will be 'amplified' so the stack's F/B may not reach desired figures.

Saying VHF and up I mean EME as the only matter worth time, money, and effort for a DX'er.

HTs aren't bad themselves but if their use is limited to a local relay they could become source of boredom pretty fast. There could be many really good people on the local relay but in two weeks you already know every buddy's story by heart. So after initial and no doubt sincere delight an HT user hides the HT away and either switches to HF or abandons hamradio at all.

Some OPs are just experienced enough to realize the antenna is the most valuable part of entire station. Not exactly necessarily but sometimes the most valuable means the most expensive as well. Especially if a rotator is to be calculated as an integral part of the antenna.

KA0USE likes this.