ad: ProAudio-1

Ham Radio Software for Linux

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KC9ECI, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

Fldigi

2. K0EWS

K0EWS Ham Member QRZ Page

On the advice of AC0H, I installed this software just today. I'm still in the tweeking stages, but I really like it. I made my first QSO in FeldHell mode, of all things. It ran pretty well, and was pretty easy to use, once I got the program installed.

3. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

I will get to it this week I think. I have the ISO ready to burn. There is an 80M Hellscreiber net that my friend AF9J runs. I'm gonna have to give that mode a try one of these days.

4. K0EWS

K0EWS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a pretty good piece of software, I have to admit. I had to do a little calibration on the sound card, but now it runs well. I did QSOs in PSK, RTTY, and FeldHell last night, and it seemed to perform pretty well. It even has a QRZ lookup right on the top where the loggin information is. You enter the call, hit that button, and your computer will get the ham's name and QTH off of QRZ.
    Anyway, my initial impression of this software is good!

5. K1LNX

K1LNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll echo what others have said about fldigi, what a fantastic piece of software! I've been using it for the past few months and I can't find a comparable piece of linux software that even comes close.

I also believe that this is the first 64 bit ham app to ever exist, they have both 64 and 32 bit binaries.

Well worth using if you aren't already ;)

6. AI9NL

AI9NL QRZ Member

I ilike GMFSK just cuz the GUI seems to work a bit better. the FLIDIGI uses something called "flitkit" for the gui. IT is based on GMFSK. and adds the domino modes. gmfsk is just prettier!

Harv, N9AI/AI9NL

7. W5CPA

W5CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

FLDigi is also available in versions that run under various distributions of Linux as well as Windows for those who don't want to make the switch to Linux.

Jim W5CPA
    "Yes I AM a Certified Public Accountant!"

8. AE7XQ

AE7XQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just finished running some tests on a couple of live boot linux CDs. Normally, you'd think this would belong in the "Favorite Linux" thread. However, there is an obvious reason I am posting about them here. They both contain embedded amateur radio applications. That is to say that both of them have amateur radio applications pre-installed on the live CD.

The two I tested were AFU-Knoppix and Digipup (an amateur radio based fork of the PuppyLinux distribution). Both have twlog. Digipup also has fldigi pre-installed. AFU-Knoppix has far more though (as should be expected. Digipup is only 90MB, and AFU is nearly 700MB). AFU includes linpsk, kpsk, and several logging programs, and there was also a morse code tutor. It also has a morse code chart already on the desktop (this chart places the code into each letter of the alphabet, kind of cool). I am going to test another amateur radio orient linux soon called "hamshack". Right now, if you were looking for a linux with lots of pre-compiled amateur radio software (I counted twenty that I know I could use right away), AFU-Knoppix might be the answer (note, the gui opens in german, you have to click on the flag in the right corner to change it and that is only a marginal change). If you only need a couple of basic amateur radio packages in your linux distro, digipup should be fine.

9. AE7XQ

Harv's Hamshack Hack 0.6a is actually quite nice. In many ways it is virtually identical AFU-Knoppix. However, it boots directly to english. For those who want to try linux and would like to try a live boot cd with embedded ham radio applications, this is a good one.

10. AE7XQ

Just checked out Harv's Hamshack Hack's morse code tutor. WOW! Whoever wrote this did it very well. It really makes CW fun. I admit that it simply goes through the letters of the alphabet, but it does it in a way that should make it easy for anyone to learn CW. Also, I found lots of neat charts and graphs on it that could be helpful. I may simply copy these over to my current linux install as they could be quite needful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.