ad: Alphaant-1

Ham Radio Sales Co op

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE5FAQ, Sep 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nor to getting married. But the latter does have it's benefits.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

So I'm told. Many of my married friends keep telling me about their experiences with "domestic bliss," and I wouldn't wish those experiences on anybody. Then again, I'm sure I'm getting one side of the story, and the corresponding XYL's couldn't be happier. ;)

N0NB likes this.
  3. KE5FAQ

KE5FAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think your missing my point. I worked in retail long enough to know big ticket items are no margin items.
    I have done my research
    the mid ticket accessories is my focus
    their margin is much more. and lots of guys buy the 75 to 250 items quite often. Yes I know it is a niche market
    750000 or so with 50% active
    1% of that is 3750 x 50 =187500
    with test prices on a very popular item sells around 229.00
    it would be around 175.00 new
    I would only buy in to the big 3 for accessories. Big ticket items would be a necessary evil. probably with no margin.
    I have bought out 3 different hamfest vendors as they shut down. Almost Current info. Margin on items I am targeting are app 30 to 40 points
    and sales much higher than radio sales. thanks just a little insight

4. KE5FAQ

KE5FAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio is an inexpensive hobby
    I Water Ski, Camp , And 4 wheel
    Boat $$$$$$ plus motorhome $$$$$$ Honda 4 wheeler ect
    I am looking to do what I enjoy. I have done it for years for free
    Why not try this.
    I have the same reservations some have voiced.
    I am placing a opening order with one supplier in a week or so.
    If it dont work o well less money for the kids when I am gone.
    Thanks

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have access to the resources you say, then go for it. What do you have to lose besides time and money? You seem to believe in the concept, and the only way to know for sure is to attempt it.

6. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Every day people eat, every season and crop you need seed and fertilizer, every spring the tractor needs stuff, and I bought my last new ham radio back when the Icom IC2000 came out and it was $200 new.

If a person wants to become a ham radio dealer you'd want to maybe get into the Chinese HF stuff and hope it gets cheaper than what I've seem thus far, maybe if you get a bunch of folks together for a group buy of a container full it might work.

7. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been around cooperatives all my life. They have benefits and liabilities just like all other business models. A year end dividend and an ownership share of the company are nice perks but hardly pay for the difference in up front pricing when an aggressive competitor is in the area. Of course I am referring to agricultural co-ops where individual patrons do business in the range of thousands to millions of dollars. Co-ops require careful management and a watchful board of directors. I've seen bankruptcy and mergers of local co-ops into ever larger concerns.

One thing a ham radio co-op will not be able to do is to price a fully optioned K3S to its members for a kilobuck.

8. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, first of all, I am certain that all of the big radio manufacturers have very strict MSP/MAP policies. If you are trying to sell at 10%, you will likely not have to worry about either, because I would be absolutely shocked if either MSP or MAP came close to a 10% margin. In fact you would probably be the most expensive ham radio store in the world selling at 10%.

9. N2PPK

N2PPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From my understanding margins are so thin as-is that there isn't much room for discounting, unless brought forward by the manufacturer through trade funding. Unless you're doing major volume, HRO, DXE, or GigaParts style, I doubt you'd see much upside.

Besides, you're either carrying a LOT of inventory (paid for by co-op members, nullifying any savings from the co-op) or waiting a while for the manufacturer to ship the radio. I don't know about you, but I'd spend an extra $50 or so (5% on a $1000 radio) to have it in 2-3 days rather than 2-3 weeks.

I think the idea has a good basis, but I'm not sure the economics would pan out.

10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a member of the local farm coop(buy all my gas there). I think I get back something like .25% of purchases every 6 months... think the last check was all of $2.28...