Ham Radio Sales Co op

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE5FAQ, Sep 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know. I think someone on the ZED once said 'if you want to make a small fortune in ham radio, start with a bigger fortune'.

N3AB, WU8Y, W4IOA and 5 others like this.
  2. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

Many manufacturers specify a minimum advertised price (MAP) for their products. You can sell them for less, you just can't advertise it. That's why the "add to cart to see price". Plus, web vendors figure if you put it in your cart, you're closer to buying it, so it works out. Retailers who publish prices below MAP risk having their dealer status revoked.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately the adage is applicable to most endeavors today...

K6LPM and W1PPP like this.
  4. W1PPP

W1PPP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the process of building out a station again and except for tip down mount, coax, connectors and grounding items, just about everything else I have gotten I have bought on the used market. Everything I have gotten has been in real sweet condition and either was excess to the seller's needs or just not his cup of tea. So IMHO, the marketplace could support something of a co-op of the "accessories" coax, connectors etc etc from the pricey name brands as there already are plenty of places to buy knockoffs and stuff that works "good enough". Your problem will be you can't cut the price to nothing an still ship and make it a profitable deal for yourself/co-op, unless you are doing an insane volume.

N3AB likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, but look at the whole picture.

What's the matching power supply going for? Mike? Filters? Other options?

Way back when, I can remember another dealer undercutting the little shop I worked in for, say, a TS-430S by $50 or more. Even if they were buying from Kenwood in bulk, they werem't making more than a buck or two -- on the rig. But the same shop sold the PS-430 as the MSRP of $199... and everything else as well. So hams who thought they got a great bargain on their purchase, when they bought the whole package, actually spent close to $300 more than they would have, had they shopped around the whole package, not just the rig itself.

N3AB and W7UUU like this.
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

AND Vanna is the sales person!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

W7UUU and WA7PRC like this.
  7. KG4OCV

KG4OCV Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is a true coop, why would there be any percentage over cost? Why not just cost and shipping?

8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the saying is: If you want to become a millionaire just start with a billion dollars and make bad investments.
    (I learned this the hard way).

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KG5KOG and WA7PRC like this.
  9. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

I eat, all the time.

I've bought two radios in 32 years.

But hey, best of luck :p

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

As do most people.
    And you are above average. Most people buy zero ham radios in a lifetime. :cool:

This whole discussion seems like another "ham radio is too expensive" thread. If it's too expensive for you, go do something else. The cost of hamming is nothing compared to a motorcycle hobby. ;)

G0JUR likes this.