ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Radio Public Service

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KUB, Feb 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5KUB

W5KUB Ham Member QRZ Page

This week on Amateur Radio Roundtable we have Clint Bradford K6LCS talking about satellite operation and how to do it. Simple steps to be successful. We also have Scott Hunter KK6RVM who will talk about public service and ham radio. Plus shack pictures that you have sent to us, and more. The show is simulcast on international shortwave station WBCQ on 5130 Khz and you can watch it on W5KUB.COM at 8:00 PM Central Tuesdays. Chat room and phone lines are open for viewers. (for intl viewers the live show is at 0200 UTC Weds) All shows are recorded for later viewing.

PU2MUS and K0PIR like this.
  2. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent a lot of money back in the early 1980's on steerable antennas, a new radio and spent a lot of time learning how to do satellite comms only to find 1 single ham station on the east coast tying up every damn pass of any satellite so that I and others could not use them. I sold all my stuff. I am done with satellites. There is always one person ruining something for every one else.

W7XLR and VE3DOY like this.
  3. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes but it sure beats the C.B.ers on 80 meters HiHi Ijust had a very nice contact 15 min. ago on FO-29 I love the Birds !!! 73' see you on the next pass Phil KI6PMD

WD9EWK and KF0G like this.
  4. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope someone got a good deal on your equipment.

KB1RVT, KC8YXA, WD9EWK and 4 others like this.
  5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

If/when the geosynchronous satellite gets put up there, it will be a game changer. No more having to chase it.

The 'five and dime' ghz provides a problem for most people, but once it gets up there, it holds a LOT of channels, so it won't be crowded (hopefully). A few kits are available to DIY, but I've heard that a commercial builder is working on a solution as well.

Hopefully it happens--and soon.

W7XLR and N8HM like this.
  6. N3YKF

N3YKF QRZ Member QRZ Page

Never know who or what you're going to work on a satellite pass. Last trip to northern S.A. , one so-50 pass yielded two contacts from PZ5 to southern Brazil from the same far grid square. Gear sounded exactly the same. Think these guys were passing the mike back and forth. Listened for the same pair on other passes. Same operational pattern. First one, then the other.
    Doing satellites with $20 worth of gear is fun. The flip side is as dangerous as a boat or airplane. Serious money pit. Have convinced my wife it's cheaper, healthier and more entertaining hobby than crack and whores, golf or horses.

W7XLR, N8HM, WD9EWK and 2 others like this.
  7. VA7UO

VA7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

I also find it interesting that the people who give talks on satellite operations are the ones you never hear on the birds.
    As to KI8W's comment about one person tying up the satellite, did you not have a VFO to get out of his passband?? Just saying that if this turned you off then you didn't put much effort into it.
    I've been on AO-7 through AO-29 and I still have some of my gear from AO-10, there will be something going up later this year from the talks I've been having with my friends across the pond, we will have to see..

W5SAT, W5PFG, N8HM and 1 other person like this.
  8. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glenn,

Tough to turn VFO and escape when it's an FM bird.

W7XLR likes this.
  9. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's probably just as well.... :)

WD9EWK likes this.
  10. VA7UO

VA7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just bought a new 2000X, will pick it up and have it on the air Wednesday when I get back from the oil patch. Isn't ham radio grand!

11. LU1DW

LU1DW Ham Member QRZ Page

SARASA