ad: AbAuRe-1

Ham Radio Production Stopping? AKM Factory Burns

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ATA, Dec 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5ATA

K5ATA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

PY2NEA likes this.
  2. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So I suppose this could affect the rollout of the new Yaesu FT DX-10 that was to come out this month. Luckily I decided to not wait for the DX-10 and went and got a DX 3000

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom ID-52 release delayed, darn it.

KC5HWB likes this.
  4. K5ATA

Yeah, I was really looking forward to getting my hands on the ID-52... hopefully the delay won't be too long.

KC5HWB likes this.
  5. K5ATA

I'm not a Yaesu guy, but yeah, better to have one in hand that you like than getting stuck waiting! 73

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me tell you--that baby came delivered from HRO Oakland this week and compared to the gifted Icom 751 I was using,--Night and Day.

The 751 came from a now silent key: KJ6HB. I am wanting to return the favor and gift it to another ham that needs a rig to get on the air. That is the spirit of radio and I think would make Ed happy.

PY2NEA and W4LJ like this.
  7. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, Just grasping here, but wouldn't a critical chip facility of that economic importance be outfitted with some kind of clean agent or inert gas fire suppression/protection system to immediately extinguish flame or fire?

Halon comes to mind (now effectively banned - pfft..). There are other systems out there which are just as effective.

KO4KAK and PY2NEA like this.
  8. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The price of these parts will spike. Manufacturers will adjust. AKM will lose market share. No manufacturer is going to wait a year+ for AKM parts. Product designs will be adjusted and business will continue

73, -bob

K8WAR, K8HIT and PY2NEA like this.
  9. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Technicians that welded an O2 pipe instead the Halon one (its substitute inert gas) are good seppuku candidates. But, hey! still not as much incompetence as they showed at Fukushima site.
    Such piece of news sincerely made my day, too bad won't halt that much the worldwide over-consumption of hyped goodies.

10. K5ATA

That is very cool of you. My daughter had someone, K8MRD, do something similar for her. The kids I teach at school (I call them Padawans) also have had folks give to help get them and our club on the air. Thank you for doing that for another ham! 73!

PY2NEA likes this.
  11. K5ATA

You would certainly think so... but alas... apparently not.

PY2NEA likes this.
  12. K5ATA

I agree it will continue... but either way, there will be a delay. The question is how long will it last... hopefully not too long!

13. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

More Analog 2 Analog into our (already too much dystopian) lives, can't be bad. Except for Alexa, of course, that is to retire earlier than they planned.

14. KD9DST

KD9DST Ham Member QRZ Page

My Yaesu 7250 burned up today for its second (SECOND) time since Jan 2021 I wouldn't buy any more of these as they appear to be junk......finals are flaming out with extreme regularity.