Ham Radio Prices Increased?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1DLY, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1DLY

W1DLY Ham Member QRZ Page

You can only provoke with nonsense so many times until it gets dished back. Overall, there were insightful responses to the question such as semiconductor shortage and other responses including a mention of laptop prices which I found useful since I need to buy a new laptop as well. It seems like the highly sensitive defensive politicians need to hijack the discussion as if there's some kind of conspiracy or threat threat to their fragile political beliefs.

It was a simple question. I got what I needed. Thanks.

WD4IGX, NL7W and KA0HCP like this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I did some checking, I don't see where prices on amateur radio equipment have changes in a very long time now. All of the major brands are the same as they were last year. The only equipment that has gotten more expensive are amplifiers, and even they have not changed much in the last three or four years.

I'm building a ham radio death star.
    When I finally pull the trigger, the Funeral Committee will be ANHILLIATED, DECIMATED and OBLITERATED.

3. W1DLY

W1DLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Very insightful. Or maybe our favorite vendors were out of stock and didn't update their web pages with new prices until they received new stock recently.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[Never mind, I notice now it says "annual" so presumably 2021 is adjusted to annual equivalent.]

5. WD4IGX

Other than the things like laptops which had a run on them as people went to working from home and then those who needed them had them, nothing is going down.

At least, and yes to be fair, nothing that >> I << use or buy has or is going down.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  6. WD4IGX

I didn't get any, and I expect a lot of others here didn't either.

The combination of a good job and single/no dependents = no soup for YOU!

WA1GXC, WD4ELG and KA4DPO like this.
  7. WD4IGX

Heck, some of us sent it "back" after not even getting it in the first place! ;)

WA1GXC and KA4DPO like this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

With everything going Up in price I'm getting needed appliance up dates and the roof replaced right now...
    Look for prices to keep escalating...

WZ7U likes this.
  9. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

And hams wanting to communicate might have to go back to basic radio, no high end CPU running everything, no touch screen, no internet connection, no FT8 making Q's while they are sleeping, Just basic pick up the mic (or key) and send out a CQ.

Ya' know guys, I've been there 60 years ago and it was just fine. Making DXCC the first time was a thrill because without a DX cluster it was truly search and pounce.. The guys on 75 meters got to know each other by the sound of the voices, or by Frank's banana boat swing on the Vibroplex, and once a year get together for a picnic in Ohio at a swap meet because it was the most central distance to drive for everyone.

The old days weren't that old and worked just fine :D

F8WBD and KA4DPO like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure...it's a form of futures speculation.

The oil company us betting prices will drop and they'll make a lot of money.

The customers are betting the prices will rise and they'll save a lot of money.

A few years back, a friend of mine who hears with oil signed a fixed price contract - and the open market prices dropped. He was stuck!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.