Ham Radio Prices Increased?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1DLY, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Timing on long term commodity contracts is very important....as well as staying up to date on commodity futures. I was working for an upstate NY utility that maintained a fuel purchasing group (Coal, oil, gasoline, and Nuclear) that maintained long term contracts with suppliers back in '72. They got caught by the oil embargo and had a hard time coming up with the cash for fuel oil. A number of formerly coal fired plants had recently converted to fuel oil in order to help meet environmental standards. It was a lean year for the utility. They were short on cash until the embargo was over and customers had to get accustomed to the "new normal" in electricity rates.

N2EY likes this.
  2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

“Never let a good crisis go to waste.”

WD4IGX, NL7W and WQ4G like this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or a good deed go unpunished!

WZ7U and KA4DPO like this.
  4. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As a matter of fact we did.
    Paid our taxes with it.

WD4IGX, NL7W, KA1SHU and 2 others like this.
  5. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will, but as I posted earlier prices for EVERYTHING fluctuate ... so not unlikely that next year's cost could be higher than this year.
    ;)

6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think that counts as "sending it back". ;)

WQ4G, WA1GXC, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. Good troll job though, you got all the dogs howling.

8. W5IEI

W5IEI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's funny.
    Only certain people would think that.

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Tariffs sometimes even affect locally made products too...

Since the more recent tariffs were imposed I've been paying 10% more for electronic parts coming from China. It's hard to miss since the parts house I deal with puts it right on the invoice....

Want to really know how those tariffs are working out... Ask the Soy Bean farmers.

Dan WQ4G

WA1GXC and M0TTQ like this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A couple of factors to consider:

1) The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in much less travel - and much less demand for petro-fuels (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel). Less demand lowers prices.

2) a relatively-easy winter (fewer "degree days") means less demand for heating oil. Less demand lowers prices.

3) Low priced, plentiful natural gas causes those who have a choice to switch to natural gas, resulting in less demand for heating oil. Less demand lowers prices.

See the pattern?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.