Ham Radio Prices Increased?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1DLY, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

C0ntainer freight rates from the Far East to UK are running up to x10 pre-Covid, the global supply chain is a mess and it will take time to unravel. We are seeing the same sort of price inflation on radios here, and it is most pronounced on used radios as a knock-on from scarcity in the new market. I suppose the existence of another 3,000 hams over the last year (a non-negligible number in relation to the number of actually active hams in the UK) is a factor too. But nobody is giving us any money - apart from the freeze on beer taxes, they are taking more off us at the moment!

W5BIB, WA1GXC and PU2OZT like this.
  2. W1DLY

W1DLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Good thing I didn't ask why fuel prices are up.

How about letting this thread die now...

NL7W and K8EEI like this.
  3. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,thee stopped building them in 1999 & just still had them on the shelves.... HI HI

Ed

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I assume that you don't.
    Cite your source(s) that it's otherwise.
    ;)

5. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your corner store is just one data point.
    ;)

KA2FIR likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We could make a long list of 'just one' data points!

WD4IGX and ND6M like this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course tariffs have nothing to do with this...

WQ4G

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think tariffs are affecting a can of beans made locally!

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. KI4MYD

KI4MYD Ham Member QRZ Page

The used market is crazy right now. I watched it like a hawk February & March. Many radios selling for ~$50 less than you can buy brand new. Older model radios selling for just a few bucks less than you can buy the modern equivalent for. Truly good deals are snatched up in minutes. It's definitely a seller's market!

KR4EE likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^I agree with this, entirely.

I'm in the electronics manufacturing business and our real cost of almost everything has increased, but there's both cost increase and poor availability of many "what used to be" commonly available components from Asia. And there's no way to manufacture anything electronic without using components from Asia.:p

Common small subassemblies we use by the hundreds are little things like HDMI-to-VGA adapters. Used to be about $9 and very readily available, now $20 and waiting several weeks to get them. Almost anyone manufacturing anything with an integrated touchscreen uses these, the market must be "millions per week," but with >2x the cost and long delivery delays, such a tiny part can cause large price increases and slipping shipments. Just one tiny example, but there are lots of similar ones.

PU2OZT, WA3GWK and WA1GXC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.