ad: elecraft

Ham Radio Prices Increased?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1DLY, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you political commentators share your valued positions with us, consider that the world-wide transportation infrastructure is in
    shambles. Ocean-borne shipping prices have skyrocketed. It's a supply-chain issue. The world's cache of twenty-foot and forty-foot marine shipping
    containers are sitting empty in the wrong places in great numbers. There's no containers available to carry the load. Major US ports have had their
    longshoreman workforce devastated by COVID illness and personnel operational restrictions, causing a backlog of vessels sitting offshore at
    holding anchorage 'boxes'. The Baltic Dry Index, an international marine shipping rate baseline, skyrocketed after COVID overtook the world.
    A forty-foot container went from something like $2500 to over $20,000 in December's spot-market pricing to ship from Asia to US West Coast.

"Reading is FUNdamental!"

NL7W, F8WBD, KX8C and 6 others like this.
  2. N7NIT

N7NIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been hearing similar things regarding bicycles, guitars (acoustic) and skis. All three of these things are the sorts of things that folks might want to purchase during the COVID pandemic, and if a LOT of folks are ordering them, the local stores will be scrambling to keep up. On a WORLDWIDE scale, this will create a shortage. Add to this the COVID restrictions imposed on and precautions taken by manufacturers, and your supply chain runs low or even dries up entirely. I personally saw this in a limited way when I ordered a mountain bike from my local Specialized dealer. There were several people already on a list ahead of me for the exact same bike in my size. I was fortunate because most of them dropped off the list for various reasons. A month or so after I ordered my bike, I got a call saying it was in. I paid full retail, too. Usually the bike shop will drop the price by a few bucks if you've done business with them before--but not in this case. I found out there was at least one more person below me on the list who wanted the same bike. I also saw this when I looked into buying a set of xc skis. I ended up not even trying to buy the skis. My local REI store was out of snowboards and very low on skis of all types. I'll wait on that until next winter.

Eventually things will stabilize in the supply chains, but for now, best not to plan on purchasing much other than groceries.

3. W1DLY

W1DLY Ham Member QRZ Page

These are all good points. Basically the radio will cost me an extra $100 from what it was. I'll find a way to make up for it.

4. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

You are getting off lucky only paying $100 more. We just bought furniture. 3 to 4 month wait. Granite kitchen countertops, 3 month wait. All blamed on transportation delays.

WD4ELG, PU2OZT and WA1GXC like this.
  5. KI5OCO

KI5OCO Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember a year or so ago when you could buy all the OSB you wanted for around $7 a sheet. I was in Home Depot the other day and it is $40.00 a sheet!

KR4EE, KA2FIR and KE8OJS like this.
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The important thing to watch will be the Cost Of Living index. Since the COL Index is tied to government mandated benefits it is a highly rigged number but still indicative of general inflation.

I doubt ham radio gear appears in the COL index. :D

K6LPM and K6CLS like this.
  7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

There may not be inflation, but certainly consumer pricing has certainly been on the increase! Handing out $600 en masse and followed up by $1400 may stimulate the economy but it also makes $600 worth less and that $1400 becomes worth less.... Does it cause the inflation ? Well to the degree of how many times they handed it out. Not saying this to be political. We have had a worldwide health crisis/ human disaster.
    It's a viral thing that has been mostly out of our control. To blame the economy or the crisis on anything but what it is,,,,, a natural disaster that knows no political allegiance.
    So it has been a perfect storm of cause and effect, supply and demand.
    We may not be experiencing inflation upon our national (USA) economy,,,,,. We are experiencing consumer expenses rising universally on the global level.
    One other observation....
    I never once believed that a single trip through a fastfood drive thru such as McDonalds would typically tip the scale over $20.00
    Basically a junk food lunch isnt going to happen if you don't have Andrew Jackson riding along in your pocket that day!

WD4IGX, W4KYR and AB2T like this.
  8. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

It will be interesting to see what happens with prices of used equipment, once the majority of people get vaccinated, the virus gets under control (assuming it doesn't mutate to outsmart the vaccines), and hamfests open back up. I suspect a lot of people have equipment and parts on hand that they will be eager to unload. Prices on used gear may go way down from what they were in 2019. More and more hams are "ageing out" so the overall demand for equipment of any description will continue to dwindle. And with a glut of affordable used equipment on the market, expensive new stuff won't sell, which may bring down new equipment prices as well. We'll just have to wait and see; to-day's commodity market is anything but predictable.

AB2T likes this.
  9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a very small amount, compared to the $7,000,000,000,000.00 printed, most of which was to pump up the stock market...

Just saying, and not political.

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Price gouging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.