Ham Radio Periodicals

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5TTI, Apr 17, 2018 at 2:52 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5TTI

N5TTI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering if there are any ham radio magazines still being printed that YOU currently subscribe to?
    I have been a subscriber to QST for several years and I've been less than happy with the last four issues. I'm looking for something a little more hands-on, and in-depth.

If you CURRENTLY subscribe to CQ Magazine, how have they been doing on their reboot this year? (This is the only reason I've been hesitant about subscribing to CQ)

What print periodicals would you suggest?

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, CQ, digital version. I have never missed an issue.

NN4RH likes this.
  3. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Aside from CQ, and Electric Radio, are there any left?

Some years ago Ham Radio was a very good hands on magazine, but they went under in about 89 or so.

4. N5TTI

Can you download them to read offline? is Zinio the only format it's offered in?
    (nice looking mag loops on your profile page)

5. N5TTI

Electric Radio looks very interesting. Haven't heard of them before now. Thanks!

I remember somewhere a discussion about some overseas periodicals, but I don't remember where, or when.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the only one I am aware of.
    You can if you use the Zinio app on your tablet or phone. On a PC, the only way I know to get an offline version is to print to PDF.
    Thanks. :)

7. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Electric Radio isn't actually a ham radio magazine. However, if you are looking at technical radio related magazines the Antique Wireless Association has one. The Spectrum Monitor has a lot of SWL information and also a ham section.

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

If hands on and more in-depth means more technical, have you looked at QEX? http://www.arrl.org/qex

9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree!

While it isn't 100% Amateur Radio, it's 99% of the content.

However, Electric Radio is all about vintage radio, with a lot of AM content. If you are looking for the latest-and-greatest SS box....look elsewhere.

People complain about the price of an ARRL membership - $49 for one year, $95 for two years ($47.50 per year), $140 for three years ($46.67 per year). Of course ARRL membership is more than just a magazine subscription, but let's put that aside for a moment.

Electric Radio is $36 per year - $47 for first class delivery. A typical issue is 60 to 70 pages.

For a paper copy of CQ, it's $36 for one year, $66 for two years ($33 per year), $96 for three years ($32 per year).

10. N5TTI

I have looked at QEX, picked up a couple of issues at a hamfest in the past. Don't you have to have a subscription to QST to get QEX though?

I have read some articles translated from Funkamateur magazine, but not sure if they offer an English subscription ( guess I could always learn German .. haha)

KC5AKB likes this.