HAM RADIO ON YOUR BICYCLE!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE0BPK, Mar 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KI4IUB

KI4IUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave, That took me back in time... I did the same thing in Orlando back in about 76sh...lol I have a photo of it some place.

2. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had a few 2M QSOs with hams on the RAGBRAI (annual bike ride across Iowa). Some even run APRS. Anything is possible.

3. AF7JA

AF7JA Ham Member QRZ Page

I snapped some pictures while I was tinkering last weekend. This is my tricycle with radios installed. In two weeks I am leaving on a ride of about one-thousand miles.
    [​IMG]

The antennas
    [​IMG]

4. KI7CIL

KI7CIL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KI7CIL

KI7CIL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tu es grande enviable!

Bunch of quick questions:

Do you have specs for the trike, or was it homebuilt, or what all?

You are going by yourself, or there will be a crew going with you, or?

Are you still going to be on the road come Field day, and if so, are you going to pull in somewhere and participate?

KI7CIL

6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I had two generators (one on each side) and used a strip of bicycle inner tube rubber to insulate the mount from the chassis on one side. Since both produced unsynchronized A.C., I used two rectifier circuits with huge Pitney-Bowes electrolytics in series to create 6 and 12 Volt busses which kept two 6V lantern batteries charged.

An 8x DPDT pushbutton switch strip from Radio Shack's $1 parts table was taped to the bar between the seat and steering column to control two headlights, tail light, clearance light (at the top of the orange fiberglass antenna, AM radio, speedometer dial light, and generators.

Pedaling uphill at night could be challenging, but it was worth having the only bike with an electrical system that worked while not in motion!

7. AF7JA

AF7JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry I was so late to respond. I was out riding.

No, there was no support vehicle, just me. I made a few contacts with the 2M; however, no contacts at all on HF.

I posted a bit about the build here. There is also a bit more information about the trip here.

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, AF7JA, that is some serious work!

[​IMG]