ad: UR5CDX-1

HAM RADIO ON YOUR BICYCLE!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE0BPK, Mar 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5UFA

KF5UFA Ham Member QRZ Page

I stick my VX-8DR into my Camelback, clip the speaker mike onto one of the shoulder straps where it's handy to use, and roll out.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

3. BH4CST

BH4CST Ham Member QRZ Page

the RAM Mounting System for car and bicycle, I did. FYI. Silicone is needed.

4. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

ok not a bad idear to work from a bycycle..
    First the antenna by far the best antenna is a topkrise, that is because it has good gain about 6,2 dbi and second it can be suported by pipe clips to the frame. The topkrise does not require a ground plane so attaching it by the lower cavity section is fine.

the hub dynamo is the best power source. but only for 6volts. you can add a rectifyer bridge and charge a 6v battery.
    As for the radio, mounting tight to the frame ( the biggest mass ) will provide the most vibration free mount. Fitting to the bars with rubber mounts will enable the rig to rattle it's self to bits through a higher rate of vibration.
    Remember the heavier the mass, the slower the vibration rate..

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

K6BBQ, Rem used to post regularly on YouTube. Another big recumbent bike operator is W3FF, Budd. (click the links for details)
    Me, I just carry Yaesu VX-7.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  6. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I did this some years back and since I frequently ride a bike to work would like to do it again. My ride is 30-40 minutes each way and some of it out of traffic on a bike trail. A good speaker mic is critical to successful use on a bicycle. Please don't attempt to ride a bike and hold an HT at the same time. You will either crash or drop your radio. My original setup in Albuquerque was the Motorola HT-1000 with the public safety speaker mic on 440. The HT was kept in a nylon holster on a belt. I could also put it inside a backpack if I was using one at the time. Elevating the antenna helped somewhat on that band, which the PS mic did as it had the antenna on it and the radio automatically switched to it when it was attached. Supposedly it doesn't help much on 2m. My setup worked very well and I got good audio reports using the local repeaters. I sold that HT-1000 sometime back. I do have an ID-31A with it's speaker mic but am not real happy with it. The audio quality isn't the same under noisy outdoor conditions. It's also not as loud as my old setup. It does work well inside where it's quiet. I use it when the radio is on my desk connected to the rooftop antenna for D-Star nets. I suspect one could get a surplus Motorola mic to work on another rig with the right cable and matching the microphone properly. They are in good supply on ebay. Noise cancelling types will help if you are in heavy traffic areas. Otherwise the "windporting" ones do pretty well outdoors.

7. NF0N

NF0N Ham Member QRZ Page

Join the Yahoo Groups - BMHA. Lot's of info on bicycle mobile and it's free. Mike, NF0N moderator

8. AF7JA

AF7JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just as a comment, I am on that mailing list. I get the messages (and, really it is a pretty dead list); however, when I try to post to it I get an "undeliverable" error.

9. KF5QZM

KF5QZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I take my Baofeng BF-F8+ on my recumbent trike most of the time. I have a small sheet of foam rubber I fold over the rim of the rear basket and clip the radio to that. The speaker/mic hangs over my shoulder. I have a Diamond SRJ77CA antenna on it- I can hit several local repeaters with it.

10. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1962 a fellow ham road his bicycle for about 15 miles working "bicycle mobile" on 6 meters. No easy feat back then because he had to lug a battery as well as the tube gear. I can't be sure, but think he used a Heathkit 6 meter lunch box and an inverter.