HAM RADIO ON YOUR BICYCLE!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE0BPK, Mar 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0BPK

KE0BPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello again, this time I was wondering what yo can do to put radio on your bicycle. I have an idea for it but my dad says that if my ht gets to much vibration it will screw up the sodering. Does anyone know how to fix that? Thanks for your help!

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

R-A-M makes a good HT mount, and they have a base that clamps to handlebars. The arms grip a rubber-coated metal ball, which dampens vibrations considerably.

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I carry my HT on almost all my bikerides. I ride a hardtail mountain bike off road, and it gets plenty of vibration. I have the HT on the outside pocket of a nylon bag that sits on top of a rear rack. It's fairly well cushioned from the frame. No problems. I usually keep the radio switched on, using the speaker to listen. If I actually want to transmit, I stop, get the HT out of its pocket, and use it handheld while stationary.

If you're worried, you could put the radio on your body, in a backpack or similar, which would be somewhat cushioned.

Look up K6BBQ if you want to see some interesting bicycle (actually recumbent tricycle) operation. He has an HF station which he uses during field day to make contacts while riding. He's got a few videos posted. With a bit of creativity, you can do just about anything.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just for color.... I ran 2m mobile in 1978 as a teenager using a homebrew FM transmitter and a Radio Shack weather radio (remember the cube?!) converted to 2m, with a home brew 5/8th wave whip... what a nerd! :p

Dave
    W7UUU

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I made my own HT mount out of a large tie strap and a wide velcro strap.

It was fun being 'bicycle mobile' on the linked repeater system and talking to people all over Michigan while I was out riding.

I used the same set up on parade type events.

6. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

I do it all the time. I wear my HT on a belt clip with either a single ear headset or a speaker mic. I do this while geocaching but usually in an urban area with good repeater coverage. However, I have also done it while camping. I can stay in touch with my wife (who is also a ham) back at our campsite.

7. KE0BPK

KE0BPK Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way guys forgot to mention this, Its a baofeng handheld. Thanks for reading!!

8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

oh man the Radio Shack Weather Cube was excellent. that was a hit product for them!

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have beat the snot out of my handhelds whilst bicycle mobile. I even had my VX-2R get ejected and go bouncing down a very steep hill with lots of potholes, at 34MPH. It still works just fine.

I don't have any Pofungs.

10. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page