Ham Radio on your airplane!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE0BPK, Mar 20, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I mounted an L-shaped rod antenna on the belly of my Piper PA 28 and worked 2 meters with it. It worked fine but one thing I found was that if I keyed up on a popular repeater frequency, I opened a lot of repeaters, if I had much altitude. This might not be so much of a problem now since most repeaters have PL tone access.

Hal

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck on getting your license. My only other piece of advice other than what has already been suggested is that when you do your first solo, that you do not wear your best shirt! There is (or was!) a quaint little custom among the other pilots to help you commemorate that most auspicious occasion!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yes, that really was me almost 36 years ago at the Grove (OK) Municipal Airport (GMJ)

3. KK4SYE

KK4SYE Ham Member QRZ Page

It is perfectly okay as long as the pilot-in-command (PIC) approves.

Federal Aviation Regulations Part 91.21 states:

(a)Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:
    -Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or
    -Any other aircraft while it is operating under Instrument Flight Rules.
    (b)Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to--
    -Portable voice recorders;
    -Hearing Aids;
    -Pacemakers;
    -Electric Shavers; or
    -Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used

4. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Another "It's fine" vote. I wouldn't do it in high traffic areas since you should be at least listening to ATC, or during critical flight phases, like landing. It's a lot of fun.

5. KL7SG

KL7SG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Guys,

The most restrictive rules are FCC rules. Please see Title 47 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 97, Section 97.11(b). Yes you may install Ham radios in aircraft on a non interference basis. But, you may not connect them to the aircraft radio systems. Except, you may share an antenna. So, if they are stand alone radios you are good to go. The pilot in command provisions apply only to portable carry on radios. If you make it a permanent installation, you will need FAA approval of the installation.

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been running HF and VHF/UHF for years
    Have two planes ICOM 7000
    see my QRZ page
    Steve K0UO V31KW

7. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a no brainer. I fly with one all the time. There is a UPS pilot driving a 757 that I also talk to all the time.

8. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Did someone say airmobile?

9. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a ham friend who flew as PIC of 747's for a major airline. For years he flew the Los Angeles to London route. I lived in Orange County about 70 miles from LAX. Very often right after he departed LAX he would call me on a 2 meter simplex frequency and we would chat, his other duties permitting. He used a 2 meter HT with rubber duck antenna and we could maintain contact for quite awhile. When we got out of VHF simplex range he would switch to one of the Collins HF radios in the aircraft and we would continue our QSO on HF....again, other duties permitting. There were times that we would just set up an HF sked while he was going or coming over the polar route. His PIC duties, however, always came first. Prior to his commercial airline time he was a USAF pilot who flew B 52's for SAC.

10. AD7ZJ

AD7ZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I take an HT soaring with me in a sailplane and work 2m simplex while thermalling. It's great fun, just don't do it during high workload phases of the flight or when you're working with ATC. The only issue I know of would be if you do a permanent install in the aircraft, it's probably considered a 'major modification' and needs accompanying 337 paperwork. Not a consideration for experimental though. We already talk on the radio with ATC, so if you're not doing that I don't see how a ham rig is much more distracting.