Ham Radio Myths

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7RKY, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

The aliens are testing.

They have special chambers in the flying saucers to store the waves. Soon they will blanket the earth with years of RF on all frequencies.

They will pick a time for the biggest impact. Probaly the last episode of "Survivor" or "American Idol" This will cause massive suicides, and make their evil intent so much easier.

Like they say, if it looks like a lizard, is somewhat slimy, and rides around in a silver colored thing that looks like a giant Marie Calender pie plate, that sucker is up to no good.

I do think that we could defeat the menace by firing up all the EME arrays and blasting them with recordings of Britney Spears.

If that doesn't work we are doomed, unless they happen to tune in on K1MAN. They may just leave on their own, scared of the felony charges for interfering with his special programs.
    W6NJ

2. KI4LFP

KI4LFP Guest

yes your right all of them are hipocryts they are like cbers' if this is what being a real ham is then I dont want to be one i am 13 years old and today i found what a real ham is not

3. NF9A

NF9A Ham Member QRZ Page

In reading these "MYTHBSters" I found out I am not a "Real Ham" and I'm not sure I want to be.....:p [​IMG]

4. K4JF

K4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

That's strange.... those sure look like ham license call letters above your post.  If you're not a ham, then those are random letters??

If those do indeed refer to an FCC (or equvalent in other countries) issued license then you are a real ham.  That is the only requirement, you know.

5. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

People sure are grumpy.....

If you don't get a laugh once in while, then life sure sucks.

I get my cosmic relief right here on qrz.com.

Hope everyone else does [​IMG]

W6NJ

6. K4JF

K4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

Who are you calling grumpy, Bob? I saw nothing grumpy in the exchange you quoted.

Nothing grumpy, in my opinion, about the fact that the FCC (or equivalent) determines who are "real hams", not somebody with an axe to grind.

I still say if you have a license it means you met the requirements and are a real ham whether somebody else likes it or not.... >snort<

7. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ten to twenty years ago, amateur radio was replaced by the PC as a place where an amateur (not as in radio) could contribute to the leading edge of a technical field. Green fields were opened to a new wave of home experimentors, in fact you could argue that the open source linux contributor writing code is the "real ham" of today, and it may have nothing to do with radio.

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A high SWR is worse than a LOW swr.

Unmitigated B.S. *

*buffalo sausage

9. Guest

Guest Guest

To Jim, k4 jack frost ,
    from howard,
    thanks jim, i dont read the posts as often as I used to do a few years ago, but there you are, a good comment as always,
    In the uk we can read " readers letters" and " comments" on the bbc television channel and ITV, the commercial equivalent. It makes me laugh at times and other times it makes me weep !! but eberyone is entitled to their say, good or bad, hope you have a great christmas and New Year, and i;m still trying to winkle you out of the noise on hf !!!
    best regards jim,
    hope the myth or fact thread keeps going, its a good topic,
    regards from the U.K.

Howard

10. K4JF

K4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct answer is not "buffalo sausage". Correct answer is "depends".

If you are using solid state finals, they can be damaged by too high. That is bad. Hollow state not so much. Of course, how high is high?!?

Another myth: an antenna tuner tunes your antenna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.