Ham Radio Myths

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7RKY, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

FACT:

I was turned off from ham radio for over 2 years because of the impression that all ham operators can do is whine and cry amongst themselves on this message board.

I applaude those who contribute by posting material that actually pertains to the topic. Thanks.

I would like to see an experiment that would study how long a radio transmission could stay in the atmosphere bouncing around. Could it be possible that it remain there an extended period of time before bouncing back to earth?

2. KC8YOQ

KC8YOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard LDEs I was in the Army in Germany in the 70ties. I heard a call from a Unit thst had been disbanded 10 years. It was under the static and hash and mash but was there. I wish I had made a tape(curse me)

3. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I made a CQ transmission on February 22, 2003 on 14.225 and was tuning on the 20 meter band on January 1, 2004 and heard myself calling CQ. Am I imagining this? Just when I thought this was all hooey, something like this can happen and really wake you up! Kidding or not, most people are serious when they speak about this subject.

Please take the first word of every sentence for a hidden message...

4. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

You ain't one of'em Al kydda payple are ya? talkin' in krypto-tawlk an'all? I'm gonna hav ta ripert yew to the revinuers fer sicret coded maissiges.

Whoops, that redneck joke thread is getting me loopy, better take my prozac.

5. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yumpin Yehosafat! Call Cronkite! (And he durned sure won't believe it!) A STABLE "seven drifty three"?

I did, however, get a Heath HW32 to less than 100 Hz drift from cold to full operating temperature. All it took was a good selection of NPO caps, an HP frequency counter with its reference slaved to a Cesium Beam Standard, and WAY more time than it was worth. Of course when you're on an island that's about 1/2 mile wide and 3 miles "long" (with the bend in the middle), one has extra time to do these things.

6. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10 ways to know an Amateur friend is an Al Queada plant:

10. He has a call like KJ1HAD, K0RAN, KA4MEL, KB0OM, KF4TWA...

9. You notice a 2m antenna on his camel

8. He has a naicinhceT Class License

7. His shack smells like samak air buscuits.

6. He refuses free airline drinks because he will be driving very soon.

5. His QRP rigs has a plastique battery holder

4. Your pickup backfires and your friend throws down his mike and surrenders.

3. He looks like Sadam Hussain and is panicking because the Real Saddam lost an arm in a bomb blast.

2. His tube rig has a HV ground fault and he's looking for a Jewish radio technician to fix it.

And the #1 way you can tell if your Ham friend is a terrorist...

1. He only buys a one way airline ticket to Dayton.

7. KC8TCQ

KC8TCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard similar but I was told to drive the rod in a bit then pull it out and pour salt into the hole then water then drive the rod in the rest of the way, then salt the ground around the rod and pour water.

Is there any scientific proof of this?

8. N5EAT

N5EAT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you've ever seen a photo of the folks who go on DX-peditions - you'll know that beer is one of the essential vitamins which keeps
    cold fingers tapping upon keyers.

9. KB0GU

KB0GU Ham Member QRZ Page

My last name is Bigham.

10. N4ZN

N4ZN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this one can be tied in with the "long echoe" topic. I believe I've heard both, in unison, which IMO, both are one. Of course, this won't be noticed if you're operating phone, locked in transmit, till you're finished speaking. At which time your recieve recovery time may be too short to catch your "tail-end". But, on many occasions, while operating on 40m with my Ten-Tec in full QSK, I've copied my own echoe. Could be backscatter, but unlikely on such a low frequency, and if possible, too short a round trip to copy at current rx recovery times..... or a fullcircle propagation example. More likely IMO. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.