ad: Retevis-1

Ham Radio - My portable RV antenna farm.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Oct 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have watched a great many of your video's and just want to say thank you for making them. I like that you present the facts and the results of your experiments. I wish I had your collection of antennas.

2. NT6U

NT6U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great idea on the stake in the ground & desert cement. Heck of allot cheaper than those tripods sold. Great video & thanks for sharing.

N4GST likes this.
  3. K5QBX

K5QBX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use 30 foot of fiberglass military poles that I strap to the ladder on the rear of my truck camper with a SOTAbeam linked dipole for 40-30-20 meters. No guying required and good for 100 watts and no interference with the electronics in the camper. The other setup is a tripod with the same 30 feet of fiberglass poles with a home brew 80-75-40-30-20 meter linked dipole with a hundred feet of RG-8X coax to put a little distance between the antenna and the camper. I have run 600 watts to this antenna during winter/summer field day/ARQP with no problem with the electronics in the camper. It's not an instantaneous setup, but it seems to be a good match (<1.5:1 on all bands at design frequency) and I've had a lot of fun with both setups. Enjoy your hamming from different locations...

73, Fred
    K5QBX

AJ6KZ likes this.
  4. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL, must be nice! I actually LIVE in NH, and can no longer afford to buy the properties I looked at a year ago. All being snapped up out-of-state at a record-setting pace. Why NH and not Maine or Vermont? (puzzle: it's easy to figure out)

Ah, at least I own my current house outright, that makes life certainly a little easier. Enjoy the GOOD LIFE of New Hampshire!

And BTW, does that RV count as a Mobile Station? :)

KM1H likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I confess my family just purchased a prime view at Sugar Hill...not too far from the Bette Davis House.

I promise not to be a total 'Masshole'!

KM1H likes this.
  6. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Beautiful area! Welcome and Enjoy!

Don't forget to put a 2m log periodic up there, we need more SOTA chasers! :)

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent point!

Yep, did SOTA from MW in 2015... should easily do several 4000 footers net year:)

My height is 1500 ft I believe at the QTH. I actually have a clear shot to the south for VHF/UHF. East, I look into Cannon and the Presidentials....

73 and thanks:)
    Chip W1YW

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Just dont become a Mainiac.

W1YW likes this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OP, Those mountains look similar to the ones in my QRZ page picture of a Black Rock Desert Rocket Launch. Where were you parked?

Art - K8XG

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  10. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a smaller RV (Phoenix Cruiser, 24’) with a height about 9.5’. I’ve never tried to run an antenna across the top, but have lashed 4’ lengths of fiberglass poles to the ladder and run an EFHW away from the RV. Even though the antenna was not high, I did make QRP contacts with it. I also bought a 40’ Spiderbeam collapsible mast that fits into a flagpole mount in the rear hitch. You can do an inverted V with it.

I also have a 60’ doublet antenna that I can put up in trees, using a Chuckit dog ball launcher. I tried to work the September NAQCC sprint from a private campground near Cape May NJ and discovered that there is an awful lot of RFI in campground including your own rig. Other stations could hear me, but I had a a hard time hearing them.

You need to be creative and use what the campground gives you. Good luck!

11. KG7QJD

KG7QJD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Kevin, Sorry about knocking your rocks over around the Quartzfest campfire. ;) And of course, thank you for sharing.

12. YO7NSP

YO7NSP Ham Member QRZ Page

:) 73 de YO7NSP

13. N8HIS

N8HIS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the video. I live full time in an RV as well and for traveling I have a travel trailer that I use as my Ham Shack on wheels. Great information. de N8HIS

14. N2BEF

N2BEF Ham Member QRZ Page

With my class C RV I bought a MGS pushup mast that I mounted to the vertical awning mount using homemade brackets that were clamped to the awning mount vertical. And when I ungraded to a class A RV I just made different brackets and attached to the awning mount on the class A. The MGS is 25 feet fully extended, BuddiePole Antemma, LDG tuner and an IC7200, works great.