ad: Schulman-1

Ham Radio - My portable RV antenna farm.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Oct 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - My portable RV antenna farm.

KH6OWL, N8HIS, WA2HNY and 17 others like this.
  2. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Kev , great me like not to many places in ZL like it,
    Pieter

K4JNS likes this.
  3. KE8NFK

KE8NFK Ham Member QRZ Page

The XYL and I recently bought an RV, and I was wondering if there was a way to mount an HF wire antenna lengthwise above the roof. The roof of the RV is about 12 feet high, so I figure I could have about 2 feet clearance from the fiberglass roof. Thanks for any input (even from other viewers) KE8NFK

4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I realized I do not know the story of your rambling lifestyle. How many days a year do you spend on the road?

W1YW likes this.
  5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Great vid. Improvised is the way to go so don't be shy about them being rough. I use a Breedlove so-239 ball mount on the van. it holds the diamond screwdriver while mobile a doubles as a coax connection for any improvised antennas raised. Any balun required hangs off that. I do like the idea of a carlin box as a junction though. Going to keep that in mind. Luckily here in the northeast I usually have trees to hang antennas from but the mast is a great addition I should consider.

K0UO likes this.
  6. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I run an inverted-L configuration (horizontal portion over the RV) but keep it much higher than two feet. For clarity, I only do this when parked. I sometimes have problems with RF getting into various things inside the RV so I do reduce the power to mitigate it. If I'm able to run the antenna in a different direction not over the RV, RFI is not a problem.

K0UO likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Not all wander are lost.

W7XLR and K0UO like this.
  8. KB9RLW

KB9RLW Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone's mileage will vary, but I suspect you'd have three problems with that approach. First, length. A 20 meter dipole might be doable, but lower freqs would be a problem. Second, noise. Solar charge controllers, appliances, the RV's own power converter, and especially inverters are huge noise sources on HF. Finally, RF. You'd be directly in the RF field of the antenna when transmitting, which could cause all kinds of interference with stuff in your RV and probably cause RF noise on your transmitted audio as well.
    You really want your antenna away from the vehicle if possible.
    My little vertical on the back of the RV is always noisier than the other antennas, but not too bad. It's not parallel to the vehicle though, so that helps. And I usually run low power, 5-30 watts, so it doesn't cause much of a problem when transmitting. I do sometimes here it on my audio system.

K0UO and AJ6KZ like this.
  9. KG5UMH

KG5UMH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an old Alpine Screwdriver attached to the ladder on the rear of my Motor Home. For "quick" on the air, I climb the ladder, install a 72 inch whip and then tune by noise level to about where I want to be, then let the IT-100 handle the rest. If I am going to be stationary for an extended period of time, and have about 70 feet of space, I put up an EFHW. I have a 2x2 plywood base that I put a short stub of pipe on. Slid a section of top rail or military surplus tent pole over it and attach the antenna to the top. I cut the top rail into five foot sections and of course the tent poles are about four foot each. I have my tuner (IT-100) mounted in an outside compartment. Connect the coax to the antenna and to the tuner and I can work all 20m, 40m and parts of 80m depending on the height. I do guy the two uprights to keep the antenna wire from drooping. Could use the ladder for one anchor point, but have not done that yet. Since I only work HF when stationary this works well. For 2m/70cm I have a short Pulse (Larsen) dual band antenna mounted on a metal plate in the middle of the roof.

K0UO likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The world is so wacky nowadays that being nomadic is a viable option. RV's are seeing record sales....so also on second --non urban--homes (family here just got a mountain house in NH).

K8XG likes this.
  11. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK. My actual question to Kevin was how many days a year does he spend on the road.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was responding to the 'story', not the question.

There is an increase this year in RV usage, which makes this video , perhaps, of greater import than in many years past.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    K8XG, N4GST and K0UO like this.
  13. W6ZZW

W6ZZW Ham Member QRZ Page

what a mess

14. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't suppose you've swept those antennas with an analyzer? Almost anything will work under the right conditions. I recall working Dx on ten meters with an eight foot string of paper clips and a Dx-20.

15. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video. It gives me ideas on setting up my antennas.