Ham Radio - My local setup for receiving NOAA weather satellites.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jun 6, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Radio - My local setup for receiving NOAA weather satellites.

DL9YO, KB1MM, W7XLR and 8 others like this.
  2. KJ6EUC

KJ6EUC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was way cool, thanks for the instruction

KC7ZXY likes this.
  3. M6EVR

M6EVR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

amazing video, thank you for showing it to us 73

KC7ZXY likes this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Try building a quadrifilar helix antenna. Best yet I have found for NOAA. N7LRY has the best plans for one. Where your at I would think you would be pleased with the performance.

5. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video for ppl who want to try this out.
    I did it a few times and it is fun; now though I click on the NOAA website for HD images. ;)

6. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found that a discone antenna is nearly ideal for receiving orbital satellites. It's also very useful for many other operations because of it's very wide bandwidth.

KC7ZXY likes this.
  7. K7IRC

K7IRC Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that. Very clear and instructive.

8. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KB7TBT- Thanks agn for the video.. If you let the recording continue, or at least continue to receive near LOS (loss of sig) @ the horizon, you'll often find that you can receive these NOAA sats as well as the ISS ,a few degrees below your local horizon. The decoded apt image will suffer greatly due to poor snr.. but you can still dig out the audio in the noise. There are a few sat antennas that are easy and inexpensive to build if you require better snr and 'no null' decoding.. Or, just for general Oscar sat use. For example the "T-R" (Turnstile-Reflector) antenna.. I built this one from the old 1st ed. ARRL "Sat Experimenters Handbook".. This antenna is two crossed 145 MHz dipoles, fed out of phase with an 8inch piece of 75 ohm coax cable. The dipoles are spaced about 3 inches apart.. These are placed about 19 inches above a wooden 'picture frame'.. In the frame is a 19 in square piece of 'chicken wire' from the hardware store. The chicken wire acts as a reflector and adds additional gain.. The dipoles are fed with a single piece of rg8 mini etc... cheap and very low level nulls, regardless of the polar orbital pass and inclination.. 73, n6spp-cm98

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021