ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Radio - Modulated CW with FLdigi, not A2A. How it works, and is it wider than regular CW?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"I think something's not right about that." There, fixed it for you. ;)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    K9FV, K7PJP and W8UA like this.
  2. W4NNF

The only problem with using "sound card" CW is that computers can bog down with disc access or something and mess up the timing on the code you are sending. It's not illegal, nor is it strange, nor is it easily distinguishable from "real" CW.

Best bet? Instead of using this scheme, use a Winkeyer. Small. Cheap (50 bucks for the Mini). Jack for a paddle. The Winkeyer is compatible with most logs/contesting software and keys the rig the old fashioned way so your code sounds just ducky. ;)

W8UA, K0PIR, WD4ELG and 2 others like this.
  3. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

If the receiving station can't tell the difference, then who cares? Given the monkey shines in our bands today, I think this issue would down in the QRM somewhere as far as enforcement is concerned.

K9FV and W4NNF like this.
  4. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, I have bad carpal tunnel pain when I use my favorite, the Bencher Iambic. Believe it or not, sending with computer and keyboard is less painful and does not cause numbness. I'll send with the Bencher for 10 minutes and then I can't feel my thumb and forefinger.

Unfortunately, too, is that the Kenwood TS-870 has an AMAZING keyer built-in. It has a million neat features including changing speed with the Bencher.

You can see what I prefer in the picture on the left. I send with a left hand key set-up for the right, and then when the left hand numbs, I send with the right for 10 minutes.

You misinterpreted: I never advocated sound card CW unless you run it through the audio to on/off switching. AND HEY, MY LENOVO'S have quad processors and NEVER bog down, ahem! (haha).

5. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

If that were truly the case, none of the digital modes would be possible. This is a non-issue.

K7JEM and W0AEW like this.
  6. W4NNF

It may not be an issue for you, OM, but I guarantee it is an issue.

7. VE3GRO

VE3GRO Ham Member QRZ Page

This technique is how CW is produced in the classic Collins KWM-2 transceiver.

8. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Unable to watch the video.... Says I need to be signed in as an authorized viewer. (I am signed into QRZ).

9. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - Previous FLDigi MCW video deleted. A correction.

UPDATE:

KU4GW/SK2023, K2NCC and NX6ED like this.
  10. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen a net a few days ago with 3-4 people using Audio SSB CW and 1 person using a keyboard keyer like the WinKeyer USB or WinKeyer mini driven by Fldigi. I have both of those USB keyers and I drive them from FLdigi not a paddle at higher speeds. I use the paddle on the lower speeds.

This net was running about 37-43wpm. The folks using Audio SSB I could tell the difference, in a horizontal water fall [Skimmer] you could see the over-driven signals. In the FLdigi waterfall they were wiping out another set of stations 1000hz up.

The lone person with either a very well adjusted Audio SSB CW signal or using a computer keyer was a really clean signal.

So like PSK31, folks need to test the signal and not over drive it. Like PSK31, if you overdrive it, everyone will notice you ;)

For the gentleman with wrist problems, look into the Winkeyer USB Mini for use in FLdigi , not just paddles. In FlDigi, config->Modems->CW click Winkeyer tab for setup.

upload_2019-11-26_17-48-12.png

K2NCC, WD4ELG and W4NNF like this.
  11. W4NNF

Yep, if you're going to use your soundcard for CW, you need to watch the ALC, just like for the digital stuff, and not overdrive it. Again, I think most people would, yeah, be happier with the Winkeyer.

K8XG and WD4ELG like this.
  12. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

^ One of the best reason I like the WinKeyer Mini is if in a moment's notice I can be sending CW Code and no have to worry about tuning and settings on ALC and Watt meters ;)

13. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

When you whistle, do you emit a carrier?

W8UA and K2NCC like this.
  14. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably not unless you can whistle in AM or stereo. ;)

And of course, the receiving equipment (ears at least) would need to get it.
    "... the human whistle is typically located in the range of 500-5000 Hz."
    whistlecurve.JPG
    SOURCE: Human Whistle Detection and Frequency Estimation

15. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a terrible whistle. We used to have to whistle for a test sine. Back when the snow was deep.