ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Radio Mobile Installation Yaesu FTM-100DR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Oct 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

In this video I cover, step by step, the installation of my Ham Radio mobile, the Yaesu FTM-100DR with the Comet SBB1 dual band antenna. Because my vehicle is a Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid 2017, which created some difficulties. I hope this installation video will help others who are looking for an elegant solution for their cars that has a crowded dashboard.

73 Pascal VA2PV

Mobile_Install_Sonata_EN_Thumb.jpg

KG4BFR likes this.
  2. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

looks cool. what do you do when parked in a bad area? do you cover it?

VA2PV likes this.
  3. KG5YEJ

KG5YEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Install ... I need to redo mine ... Dont like wires showing ... Where did you get the bracket?

VA2PV likes this.
  4. F4IGV

F4IGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Belle instalation pascal, j'ai un Om du radioclub F4KIO qui va etre interessé de comment tu as fait ça.

VA2PV likes this.
  5. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video, tnx. I only watched once, but didn't see the fuses in the power line. Hopefully they are there and I missed 'em.

VA2PV likes this.
  6. NF4J

NF4J Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice Install, there is another way to run your coax. It is how we used to install trunk lip mounts for the Cell Phone industry back in the late 90's. While trying to find the right spot for your lip mount, you should always try to find a place in the trunk lid that has the widest flange on the underside of the trunk lid itself where the lid and trunk gasket have the most tolerance.

Once the right spot is located, you will punch a hole in the flange area of the trunk lid right where the coax folds underneath the lip mount, so you can run the coax IN TO the inside of the trunk lid and bring it back out in the same place the lock wiring, accessory wiring, etc, comes back in to the trunk area...usually close to the lid hinges. What this does is to allow the coax to enter in to the trunk lid right underneath the lip mount, runs through to the closest hole you can bring it back out, then immediately underneath the trunk deck where your transceiver is mounted. This completely eliminates the coax from running across your trunk deck gasket, thereby removing any opportunities of water coming in where the coax runs across the gasket. I used to have a bunch of install pictures detailing what we did but that was many years ago. Overall you did a really nice job...Well done. de Danny - NF4J

VA2PV likes this.
  7. VA2PV

I try not to, hihi. The radio head is removable very quickly, I just disconnect the control cable, slide it on my left and it's of the stand. 73 Pascal VA2PV

8. VA2PV

All the parts are links in the video comment section of YouTube. The mount is from Lidomounts, they're always at the Dayton Hamvention. See https://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/1478816/10152439.htm
    73 Pascal VA2PV

9. VA2PV

Yes, I used the original wire, but I flip it around using the Anderson Power Pole, meaning that the fuses are closer to the battery then the radio and they are hidden under the trim close to the battery. Pause de video at 4:23 and you will see it. 73 Pascal VA2PV.

10. VA2PV

Thanks for the advice, my trunk end directly into the window, I can't put the antenna mount there. On the side I need some loss to open the trunk. I think the best solution will be to drill a hole, but for now it's OK. 73 Pascal VA2PV

11. KB2UEW

KB2UEW Ham Member QRZ Page

very nice video and profecional job Pascal very good handyman congratulations 73