ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Radio Mentioned Prominently In High-Frequency Trading Story

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9KE, Jun 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K9KE

K9KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2018
    W0PV likes this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

This story connects with the topic of this extensive thread in QRZ Ham Radio Discussions,

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/time-signal-intruder.614510/

Signals that seem likely to be candidates for such experiments have been observed GLOBALLY within the amateur bands, 40, 20, 17 meters. They are short duration relatively narrow banded signals that sound like "time ticks" every 1 second, and hop around usually zero-beat on 5 khz dial spacing's as observed on USB mode with a 1 khz offset ie 14294, 304, 309, 319, 324, etc etc.

FCC Part 5 Experimental licenses have been granted to many for HF use potentially for this application. Most of those have frequency allocations that avoid Part 97 Amateur Radio allocations. Searchable on the FCC ELS web site - https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

At least one of the possible candidates not mentioned in this news article, M-WAVE NETWORKS LLC, has been granted a FCC Part 5 Experimental license, call sign WJ2XGD, that INCLUDES the entire amateur 20 meter band with 4.7 kW ERP.

Unfortunately, the FCC Part 5 licenses granted so far WAIVE any station ID requirements. So determining the source of the Ham band intrusive signal(s) is difficult. Hopefully Hams in the Chicago area continue to monitor for these and if possible go mobile and RDF them for ID.

The Part 5 licenses also include the boilerplate in Special Conditions (2) Licensee should be aware that other stations may be licensed on these frequencies and if any interference occurs, the licensee of this authorization will be subject to immediate shut down."

Declaring these as QRM is of course a judgement call. But if these signals can be ID'ed, IMO perhaps the FCC and the experimenters should at least be notified of the potentially problematic situation of using the Ham bands.

73, John, WØPV

3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

We already have that situation now with certain digital modes and no one is minding the store. It would be easy to hide in plain sight on the ham bands, the lack of enforcement and inability to decode transmissions by the average ham
    make self policing impossible. The ARRL OO's can't even monitor some of the current modes and the users seem to think an id is optional.

4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Who will win the HFT DX battle?

WI2XNX, WJ2XGD or WH2XWU.

Which of the 3 is the one intruding?

I would think each would have it's own unique signal footprint.

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an interesting new application for HF radio. I wish them success.

But I would prefer to observe the experiments OUTSIDE any Part 97 Amateur Radio segments!

Of the three call signs, only WJ2XGD, M-WAVE, has official FCC GRANTED permission to use a Ham Band, 14-14.99 Mhz.

The basic emissions designator 3K00D7D for WJ2XJD seems to make them a likely candidate for these observed "ticking" signals.

Link to an audio clip sample below, from the NA5B Web SDR in the Washington DC area,

https://instaud.io/2kl7

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where is the ARRL on this?

ND6M likes this.
  7. KA2FIR

I couldn't agree with you more.

8. KA2FIR

I've been thinking of the same exact thing! So far I'm just hearing crickets.

9. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

In Newington........:)

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

They posted a story on their web site News today,

http://www.arrl.org/news/experiment...ency-hf-to-shave-microseconds-off-trade-times

But it focuses only on the technology, not the potential effects on Hams.

They stated, "ARRL reached out to the point of contact listed on the WH2XVO application but has not heard back." However, that experimenters FCC license indicates frequencies that avoid amateur band allocations.

They should also be inquiring about the ID of the signals observed within Ham bands. Again, a likely candidate for that is M-WAVE, WJ2XJD (see previous post). Contact info for them is available too.