Ham Radio Magazines

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2NOM, Sep 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good afternoon fellow Ham's,

I recently did a google search for 'ham radio magazines' and was pleasantly surprised by the results. Google lists 13 entries:

• CQ Amateur Radio
    • CQ Ham Radio
    • CQ VHF Magazine
    • Radio ZS
    • QST
    • WorldRadio
    • Popular Communications
    • Ham Radio
    • QEX
    • The Canadian Amateur
    • National Contest Journal
    • RadCom
    ADDED FROM COMMUNITY:
    • Electric Radio
    I'm not interested in subscribing to all of them at this point, so I thought I would start a discussion with the community about this.

- do you subscribe to any of these magazines?
    - are there any magazines not on the list?
    - what do you like / dislike about a particular magazine?
    - what are the audience or sub-audience for the magazines?

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Mark - KD2NOM

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I get QST from being an ARRL member. I used to get QEX, but life got busy and don't have time to do any real experimentation.

I don't contest, build, etc, so buying mags really don't do much for me. With so much online these days I just don't need to. That said, it's nice to read a magazine. I recommend cruising hamfests and buying them on the cheap. Outside of a contest schedule, not too much is that time sensitive (and that can be had via the web).

KD2NOM likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I subscribe to CQ (print), QST and one of my favorites not on the list: "Electric Radio". It's always packed with really good articles and projects/project ideas.

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2017-9-20_15-7-12.jpeg

W4HGG, WD4IGX, KE5OFJ and 2 others like this.
  4. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Added: Electric Radio

5. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone can correct my list above....

6. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that world radio was defunct. I always enjoyed the issues and we're never embarass ed to leave my once read copies in waiting rooms, lunch fooms, etc.

7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I get QST with my membership. Gives me something to read on the loo and provides emergency fodder if the TP runs out.
    If you borrow my copies I suggest not to sniff the corners of the page.

WZ7U likes this.
  8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Most of those Ham radio periodicals listed are extinct. Not listed was VHF Horizons which was published in the early 60s. At one time the four major Ham magazines were QST,CQ, 73 and Ham Radio. Now its just QST and CQ Magazine. The only one I subscribe to is QST which is the voice of the American Radio Relay League.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    N6HCM and N2EY like this.
  9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I get the QST monthly journal as part of my membership in the ARRL. You don't subscribe to QST.

N2EY likes this.
  10. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like the Oct 2017 QST issues. WSJT article was very good, and the HamClock was interesting. Thinking about creating my own version of the HamClock with a dedicated monitor/raspberry pi on the wall.

Wow just notice 73 is back on archive.org, I guess Archive.org settle to copy right issues. PS: WorldRadio was good too.

N2EY likes this.