Ham RADIO magazines for sale 1936-1941

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7TFO, Aug 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

44 different issues spanning the title years in decent condition. Published by the same guys that did the Jones (later Editors & Engineers) handbooks.

These are about the same size as the old QST's. Much rarer in todays' market than vintage QST's

A wealth of data, circuits, and ads from the real days of AM hamming. Better designs than the Hartford boys IMO.

These have more real usable info, as there is no ARRL diatribe within.

If you are a retro builder or just like reading how & what hams did over 70 years ago, you won't be disappointed.

$100 for all of them postpaid in the USA.

73DG

Attached Files:

N6YW likes this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Well worth the 100 bucks.

No ARRL diatribes, but some interesting personalities and critics of League policy, particularly Clair Foster W6HM (SK 1935).

N6YW likes this.
  3. W7TFO

Sold!

DDG

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of Frank Jones articles should have been in 73 where anything got published. While lots of those Radio articles were good many were questionable IMO. Radio was renamed CQ in 1945 which had ARRL diatribes even before Wayne Green became editor.

Are RADIO issues online?

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I wonder who our lucky buyer is. RADIO is on-line at http://www.americanradiohistory.com/ but from my experience, the downloads are a PITA. You get each issue as a single gigantic pdf file which may be FB for a high speed connection but takes forever on my primitive DSL (but that's my problem). However, given the amount of scanned stuff on that website I can understand how time consuming it would be to offer each issue in small article segments. The other problem is the pdfs don't always come out clear and readable.

6. K4KYV

I much prefer handling, feeling and smelling real paper than trying to read from a computer screen. OTOH, on line digital access takes up a lot less space than a magazine collection. If I had a hard copy of all the stuff I have saved or bookmarked with my computer, I would need a whole library building to hold it all. Digital storage is OK for stuff I rarely access, but for material I refer to frequently I want a dead-tree copy.

Much of the public are unaware of, or don't take seriously, the fact of the rapid deterioration and loss of human knowledge stored on acidic paper made from wood pulp. Many if not most old publications from the first half of the 20th centuary are literally smouldering to ashes slowly over time as the paper deteriorates, turning brown and brittle, and finally to dust. Just look at the condition of a decades-old newspaper that happened to get preserved in a drawer or closet. This is particularly true for material printed from the 1920s through the 1960s, coinciding almost precisely with the era of vintage radio. Some of my issues of Radio looked brand new right out of the printer's envelope when I acquired them in the mid 1960s. Now the pages are turning brown and becoming brittle round the edges. Even though they were already considered "vintage - golden era" collectors items at the time, I have now owned them almost twice as long as they had even existed when first I got them.

Projecting another 40-50 years in the future, many of those old publications will be so brittle and deteriorated as to be unreadable. Therefore, digital storage may be the only means to save this information. It would be far too much for one person to digitise entire runs of magazines each spanning decades, but if a few collectors here and there world wide manage to scan and put a few of them on line, the total knowledge will be in circulation on multiple sites and available for a long time to come. This would be better than a few individuals attempting to scan a whole library and storing the data on thumb drives or CDs even if that were feasible; in the not too distant future those discs and drives will either deteriorate and the data will evaporate into "file cannot be read" error messages, or else the storage media will become obsolete and no-one will have the means to decode them. Where would the average person to-day find anything that would read data off a 5 1/2" floppy disc or a tape drive?

I have a solid run of Radio from 1934 through the opening days of WWII, still in good to excellent condition, which is my personal copy. I also have a second complete set with issues in conditions varying from poor but still readable to good. I am considering parting with that second set to gain space, but I haven't set a price and they would likely be pick-up only. I would actually prefer to trade than to sell for cash. If anyone might be interested in a trade, please let me know, but I haven't devoted a lot of thought to this just yet.

I might be interested in pre-1934 Radio; they go all the way back to 1917, but during that period alternated back and forth between amateur radio (or as they called it back then, 'experimental radio' or 'citizens radio'), broadcast listening, and a broadcast industry trade publication. During and just following WWII, Radio continued to exist primarily as an industrial electronics trade publication; there was a brief period when Radio and CQ existed simultaneously, as the west coast crew brought the amateur radio magazine to the east coast and re-named it CQ. I'm not sure exactly when industrial trade version of Radio was discontinued, but I believe at least a few issues came out after V-J day.

N6YW likes this.
  7. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

IMG_3514.JPG
    I am the lucky buyer! I called Dennis at 8:00 this morning to claim them.
    My reason for this is simple... I love my library. I have a very good assortment
    of reference books from the 30's through the 60's including the nearly complete
    collection of QST in Binders from 1941 through 1970.
    I have several editions of the Radio Handbook from the 1st through the 22nd.
    The Radio Magazines I am getting from Dennis will place my library in very
    good standing that represents what I feel is the most special time in radio history.
    1935 through 1941. This classic period is where my wheelhouse resides.
    Every time I pick up a volume of text, it feels real and special.
    I do not enjoy reading from the computer nearly as much, and so
    I agree with Don. Now that my radio shack is nearing completion, I am already
    running out of library space!
    The bottom line with me, is knowledge is paramount and having the answers
    to any question relating to this passionate hobby is close at hand.
    Here is a small example of these books.

8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Billy, and I recognize a bunch of books in your library. I don't have the Knowlton handbook, Morecroft or Jasik but I think I have the rest. You can't beat the actual paper with which you can kick back in an arm chair and read. It took a while for me to find the 1950s Orr handbooks. I think they get hoarded :) I found some of mine at www.abebooks.com and at hamfests. I think I use my tube manuals the most.

N6YW likes this.
  9. K4KYV

I see you have a treasure, the Radiotron Designer's Handbook. Another one to keep a lookout for is the Laport Antenna Engineering handbook. Originals go for big bux these days, but inexpensive reprints are available, and the book can also be downloaded off the internet.

I was fortunate enough to find an original hardback copy a few years ago, in good condition with very slight water damage.

The large format west coast Radio Handbook 11th edition is another treasure.

http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/RadioAntennaEngineering/

10. W7TFO

And that 11th is the only one in the series up to the mid-50's in the large size.

73DG