ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio Is Tired, Old, and Sick

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KF5LJW, Jan 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1ART

N1ART Ham Member QRZ Page

Freshen it up, How about Android ham radios? Simple enough to do.
    This way I can play Angry Birds while waiting for a QSO.
    VHF/UHF radios that program themselves for your area.
    Things they can do, but dont do.
    Internet over those high frequencies we dont ever use.....Theres another one.

VK4FFAB likes this.
  2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

IGX:

In this area, the "Telecom Corridor", when my wife. and I moved here in 1967, the major industries were Collins Radio and Texas Instruments. It is about 15-miles to downtown Dallas and there were many acres of open spaces even around the Collins and T.I. plants and to the north, a couple of miles, so much farm land that very few building were even seen. Then, because of Collins and T.I., other telecommunications companies started moving in until those many acres are now industrial areas. Collins, rather Rockwell-Collins, moved the plant several miles northeast. The old Collins plant is now Alcatel. All of those companies are still manufacturing things as well as numerous computer operations and other manufacturers making numerous articles.

State Farm Insurance Company recently built a brand new complex, that employs about 10,000 people about a mile northeast of my house. Other companies have built facilities, within the past 10-years, to the east of me that employ thousands of people. The land near those is no longer farm land but is now filled with thousands of houses. This area now looks just like Orange County, California, with house after house after house for tens of miles. So many companies have moved into this area, especially from California but not a few from the east coast, and have brought thousands of employees with them.

Collin County, the county in which I live, had less than 100,000 residents when we moved here in 1972 and now has about 1,200,000 and is growing by thousands every month. It is one of the fastest growing counties in the entire United States. The various businesses are grouped, at various places, and then, in the miles between those groupings, it is now a sea of houses that are the living places for the employees. These are, for the most part, NOT small houses! My house, about 2800 square feet, is no longer a large house in this area. The average square feet, for more recent housing, is about 3200 square feet and that average is increasing. There are quite a number of houses with 4000 square feet and even larger being built. Because of the lower price of housing (although the average price is definitely increasing), when compared with especially California, people are selling their existing houses before moving to this area and are laying down large down payments and even, in many cases, paying cash for houses considerably larger than what they left behind.

Downtown Dallas still has a number of large companies but not manufacturing companies. The vast majority of people are living, and working, in the suburbs. Unfortunately, the traffic, even on minor streets, has increased at least 10-times in the past 2-years and is getting worse every day. Just a few years ago, the major street just to the north of me, had very little traffic. Nowadays, the 6-lane roadway is bumper to bumper, both ways during "rush hour" and there is plenty of traffic at all times during the day. Even weekends the traffic is bad!

Most people, relatively speaking, are no longer driving to the downtown area for work. Yes, it is still "bumper to bumper" going towards downtown. But, the vast majority are driving east and west to work and not south towards downtown. There are buses and "light rail" going between downtown and the suburbs. At least from the north side, those are "filled to the brim" but there is not enough capacity to handle but a fraction of those persons needing to get to the downtown area.

It would be "nice" if everyone could sit at home and do their job. Unfortunately, that is a feature that is available to less than 1% of the population. In fact, outside of the major metropolitan areas, probably more like 0.01%.

Glen, K9STH

3. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I moved from Trophy Club 20 years ago, I moved there 34 years ago when it was in phase 1. Grapevine was a very small Texas town and there was nothing past the Hunt Ranch to Ft Worth! I went back a couple of years ago and it took me 20 minutes to find the house I lived in for 12 years once I was in the development. The growth of the entire area was astonishing.

When we purchased the house we got a lifetime membership (as long as we were property owners) to the golf club. I can't even imagine what it cost to join that club today and what the monthly dues would be.

Of course back then all the gas stations had coolers of beer by the pump and it was legal to get one and drink it on the way home as long as you were under the limit, things have changed a bit.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was all for telecommuting until I realized that communication with people just a few steps away at the office was not enhanced by telecommuting. If what you do requires no communications with others ...telecommuting works fine...just email your work to whomever.

5. W2AI

W2AI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

True, motion pictures (and videos) of yesteryear provide insight as to the customs, mores and traditions of the past. The Blue Magoo video was produced about 52 years ago; many of the actors, actresses and dancers who appeared in it are still alive today but in their 70s-80s.

6. W2AI

You should have explained to him that aging and death are a reality of life. Nothing on Earth is permanent!!!

7. W2AI

At least the Blue Magoo 1967 video was entertaining unlike the perpetual argumentative nature of some participants on ZED forums.

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I guess you haven't heard....

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The XYL is from Atlanta...and years ago on a visit there she insisted I try the Varsity. Two seconds of "WATTAYAHAVE?! WATTAYAHAVE?!" and I said, "I'm goin' to MacDonalds!" LOL

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, at least you'll have somebody to talk to with it since there's nobody on the repeaters.