ad: k1jek

Ham Radio is Growing in Federal Way

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7UO, Oct 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7UO

N7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Her eyes were as big as saucers when she heard: "KD7SSX this is W7MIA..." as a new member of the brand new club in Federal Way High School made her first 2 meter contact.

Recently John Hirsch, W7RFM, President of the Federal Way Amateur Radio Club, and a faculty member of the Federal Way School District posed the question to the Student Body Association about a new club for Amateur Radio.  The Association approved the club  unanimously, and many were intrigued immediately.

The club is under way with a focus on emergency communications support to the school as the "SWAT" or school wide action team.  The intention is to train them in emergency preparedness, communications, first aid, and a host of other skills necessary in the event of a catastrophic situation.

The club is in desparate need of communications equipment to satisfy their goals, especially 2 meter and HF equipment.  They aren't looking for a windfall of equipment, just enough to satisfy their goal of communications support for their school.  Any help that you might be able to render would be greatly appreciated.  You can contact the club via their faculty sponsor,John Hirsch www.fwarc.org.  leaving a message in the FWARC guest book.  Thank you.

Frank/N7UO

2. AD6XS

AD6XS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is about time that school districts incorporate ham radio club's and their own student body into emergency communications. Especially these days when we hear about school children trapped in collapsed buldings in Italy.

I have long supported kids getting in ham radio. Especially through my website http://www.hamquick.com
    It is not a big deal. Just a website where anyone can learn the Technician Question Pool information through simple tutorials and explanations.

I hope this will help not just kids, but anyone having trouble understanding the Technician Class Question Pool. This information is free to anyone at Hamquick.com

3. KG6GUL

KG6GUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    i hope that your club gets going well. here in san diego we have had no trouble getting equipment for our club. It just started up about 1 month ago so we are still in the preliminary stages of getting set up. By the end of the year i hope that we have a good club and a decent station, but all this is not good without students to use it. Good luck and 73.

___
    Nathan   KG6GUL
    Http://ham.sandiego.com

4. N4EU

N4EU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello
    I just started a HAM club in my high school {Springstead High KG4VJS} and I think that the SWAT idea is excellent! As a matter of fact I am going to see if I can get it started in my club, that is a very very good idea, if you get HF setup please e-mail the club at kg4vjs@hotmail.com with a frequency we can meet on and possibly start a net. Keep up the good work and 73.
    Alexander KG4OGN 73!

5. KC7HDE

KC7HDE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish that we could make HAM Radio out to be more than just an " Emergency " communication tool.
    What ever happend to " Make amateur radio fun, HAM IT UP! " [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.