ad: w5yi

Ham Radio is "faintly embarrasing?"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KV9Y, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, this is an excellent forum. Personally, I'm glad to see that we've done our job, got you interested and that you've posted. Please feel free to disagree, but do realize that the threats to our service are real and that when people ignorantly denigrate us to a public that knows very little about us, we should be able to defend ourselves no less than any other group. Maybe we are (I am) being thin skinned about this, but then again, see how you feel when you're falsely accused of RFI and the person only knows this point of view. Particularly in the face of BPL, the days of just turning on the rig and operating are no longer valid. If you want to operate, you must take an interest in the service itself.

Or lose it.:(

John/N2NH

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John,

I hope you are feeling better.

Obviously your statements here are false.

Ham radio has not kept up with the wireless revolution; while for generations it led it. It has the very real potential to be antiquated: my concern is not only that many vocal hams IGNORE this warning from, say outside (non-hams) but actively attempt to degrade and censure those who deliver the message from the inside.

In a very real sense, ham 'radio' now competes--poorly--with 'amateur wireless'--which is WiFi and related methods.

You can either blame me for stating the obvious, or take it to heart and focus initiatives of what ham radio can and should become.

I am offended that you assert that I do not love our hobby. The question is: can you deal with tough love, or do you want to live in the past?

Chip N1IR

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Proud to be a ham. Get and read TIME every week.

Chip N1IR

4. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KC9GVB

KC9GVB Guest

7. K4JF

K4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

"hamsexy.com"[​IMG] Now THAT's embarassing!!!

8. K4JF

K4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen!!! The only comparison of ham radio and cell phones was autopatches, which have just about all died out. There is nothing on cell phones or computers to compare with the communications afforded by ham radio. Nothing.

I'm never embarassed by ham radio and I find that most people are fascinated with some of the people and places ham radio has taken me, and that's not even counting the many emergency activities I've been involved in over the years.

We just aren't telling our story, guys!! It's still a great activity and far, far more than "just a hobby". Restoring my old Mustang is "just a hobby".

9. K4JF

K4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

You have that one backwards (again), Chuck. We are a service, not the recipient of a service. Read the regs.

And "amateur" means "unpaid". That's ALL it means. It has nothing whatsoever to do with competence, duty, or anything else. Professional means "paid" and likewise, it has nothing to do with competence, service, etc. Amateurs can, and are, required to perform services at times.

Example: I am a certified first aid "first responder". I am not paid, being retired, but my certification is current. Therefore I am an amateur. By law, if I am at the scene of someone needing medical attention, I am required by law (and compassion, of course) to help that person or persons to the extent of my ability and training.

10. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.