Ham radio in popular movies, always inaccurate, always illogical

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by 9A5O, Nov 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya think it's bad when they do radio, you should see the mess they make when they depict rock climbing in the movies. The real problems start when some kid sees that stuff and tries it at the local crag.

73 m/3

PU2OZT and 9A5O like this.
  2. KI5AAI

KI5AAI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I found it. It was in "Rocket attack USA". It looks like it says "WAC", not "WAS".

20210222_183311.jpg

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KI5AAI

KI5AAI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. K0IZ

K0IZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My favorite is Broderick Crawford (Highway Patrol, old TV), barking into the backside of the hand-held mic. Seemed to work ok, so what do I know.
    On the other hand, in the well-produced "Inspector Morse" British TV series, the music beat during final credits is in accurate CW code, M O R S E.

9A5O likes this.
  6. 9A5O

9A5O Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to those movies, nuclear paranoia spread like wildfire- hence the numerous nuclear bunkers in pristine, mint condition yet to be found.

7. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Movies and television get everything wrong. Auto mechanics, electrical, welding, firearms and most car wreck ends in a huge explosion.

Fun fact: A fire hydrant valve is actually a couple of feet underground. They are designed not to turn into a geyser when a car runs over it....and explodes shortly after. :)

9A5O likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Then there was that Nikita Khrushchev guy planting missiles in Cuba threatening our country that may have had something to do with it.