ad: elecraft

Ham radio in popular movies, always inaccurate, always illogical

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by 9A5O, Nov 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not exactly ham radio, but radio. Just finished watching an early John Wayne movie, Riders of Destiny. In the final chase scene, Wayne is chasing the bad guy and in the background there is a series of telephone poles and then what looks like a tall radio tower with guy wires. I'm sure they didn't have those in the old west.

WA9UAA and 9A5O like this.
  2. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Not even radio, but in one old Western, the unmistakable sillhouette of a combine harvester was visible on a hill in the background.

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

And contrails in the sky.
    Tom WA4ILH

4. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Watching "City On The Hill", the police surveillance van had quite the collection of flea market 1980s electronics and an MFJ Antenna Tuner as part of the audio recording setup o_O

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

A BIG +1 Dave!

W7UUU likes this.
  6. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Those telephone poles and radio masts, -they were probably built during the War of Independence when the revolutionary army rammed the ramparts and took over the airports to stop the British occupying them.;);););););)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    WZ7U and K4PIH like this.
  7. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

But before the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. ;););););)

WZ7U, 9A5O and 2E0CIT like this.
  8. KI5AAI

KI5AAI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was watching a "B" Sci-Fi movie from the 50's the other day and I swear I saw a WAS award certificate above the ham radio operator's desk. I need to remember the movie so I can take a screenshot of it.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was easier to get WAS in the 50s. :rolleyes:

9A5O likes this.
  10. 9A5O

9A5O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had my WAS for many years now, but I still vividly remember the agony of chasing South Dakota. After I finally got hold of a SD QSL, soon after I worked and confirmed two more of that elusive state. The other day I worked W7W aka "Come Get Wyoming"! I guess the joke is on us! Finally, I resent the 'new' FCC rule that call areas no longer mean the actual state your US counterpart is in! A lot of K/W seven or zero call areas (I was struggling with for my WAS) are actually located in Florida or Kentucky. What a sham!