Ham Radio in Disney WORLD

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K9ZFG, Mar 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KC1DDH

KC1DDH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a feeling the first security guy you talked to had no clue and just gave you the safe answer. I have a hard time believing they would not allow you to have it after they set up repeaters on the grounds and have a club.

2. KH7FC

KH7FC Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting people to reply on the wd4wdw forum or emails is a pain. I emailed them months ago to ask some questions and never got a reply. As of 1924 HST the echo link node has been down for a couple of months, so that might not work. Though I think (could be wrong) that the Multistate RF like may be up. The wd4wdw site says that Disney / ABC has a nationwide repeater system, which would be similar to WINSYSTEM but for Disney / ABC employee use. Though it seems in reading that any HAM can use it.

3. WN4HOG

WN4HOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Get a name, or even better print out the email if they ever respond, so that if you meet a Barney Fife you'll be prepared.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Barney would just want to talk on it.

5. K4RMM

K4RMM Ham Member QRZ Page

If the radio is not large, there shouldn't be a problem. Should be treated like cell phone. Of course no Jackites. My wife and I carry our Icom 51a into Epcot all the time.

6. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

That's what I'm thinkin'. Most people have not really been briefed (or whatever) on what 'amateur radio' is or the legalities thereto. Not expert advice, of course, but they can't "take" your radio. All they could do is to tell you to turn it off, or take it back to the car. Any seizure would constitute an unlawful theft. They'd have to have conspicuous signs posted everywhere.

If that happened to me, I assure you it wouldn't end there and I'd explore every legal avenue available against Disney AND the officer(s) that undertook the "theft". However, being that there are repeaters IN the park, that tells me that amateur radio would be fine so long as you are discreet, low-key and cooperative towards any personnel who asks. Methinks there would be thousands of family radio walkie talkies being used in the park by groups looking up to keep up with each other. Hassling people about their radios would not be good for Disney's image.:confused:

(" hey, bud, don't mess wid me: I need money and I'm looking for someone to sue. You'll do just fine!" :p) ;)

7. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Presumably you have kids......then leave the radio at home and spend some quality time with the kids at disney,,,,thats why people go there....if you dont have kids then why are you going????
    There are some places that you don't need to be on the air all the time....kids birthday party's, funerals, scuba-diving, and going on cave tours. so just accept that taking ham radio to dysneyland is not not a good idea...get a life...

8. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this the definitive list of where ham radio folks can and can't operate? And have you been to WDW? Then you know that kids are pretty much the minority there, right?

9. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything I have ever heard about Disney has been positive in regards to amateur radio. Many of their employees are hams, especially those in creative, technical type jobs creating the "magic" that makes them what they are. They have repeaters at their parks and encourage visitors to use them. Now some other parks can be horrible, from being thrown out to being handcuffed and booked into jail. Perhaps what you heard was someone getting another theme park mixed up with a Disney property.

10. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

While Disney is ham friendly, it seems that the Six Flags properties nationwide are not. I'm a bit too old for Six Flags, anyhow.